Topic

poison oak

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Kevin Clayton

@kclayton

Locale: Greater Yellowstone

I am planning on Thru-hiking the PCT this summer and have not really considered the hazards of poison oak. Is it avoidable along the trails or is it easy to brush up against it? I am not a big fan of wearing pants while hiking, should I get used to it?

Colleen Clemens

@tarbubble

Locale: dirtville, CA

poison oak is estimated to be the most common native plant in CA. you will almost certainly see it or pass by it while in lower elevations, although since it is deciduous you may not recognize it if it hasn't re-grown yet (but it can still get you, even when leafless).

i'm no PCT expert, but i live in SoCal and i've heard from more than one former PCT thru-hiker that the best clothing strategy in the southern parts is to wear long pants, as pretty much everything there will hurt you in one way or another – the plants are sharp and the sun is blazing. I always wear long pants in chaparral and poison oak country – just the safest bet.

if you decide to go with shorts but are still worried about poison oak, carry a small bottle of Tecnu.

edit: are you hiking all of the PCT or just part?

Brian Sims

@mtnfiend

Locale: Pasadena, CA

Better than Technu, as it is much cheaper, is to use any type of degreaser. I personally use the cheap citrus clean from Target. $.89 a bottle. I put some in a small travel spray bottle. The degreaser breaks down the oils that cause an allergic reaction, i.e. itching. Make sure to wash off the degreaser and PO oils after application. Also an antihistamine will help greatly.

I am an avid mountain biker in SoCal so I get a good deal of exposure to PO in SoCal throughout the year.

Denis Hazlewood
    BPL Member

@redleader

Locale: Northern California

You shouldn't encounter P.O. in any great amount until you're north of Highway 49. I don't have any experience in Oregon but given the elevation you may find the weed there. You might do further research and only carry long pants when required. P.O. isn't something I'd want to deal with on a thru hike.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools