Topic

Lightest Fishing Kit

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Off Piste Fishing & Tenkara Lightest Fishing Kit

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 26 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    Scott Christy
    BPL Member

@scott_christy

Locale: Wydaho.

Nice. Glad to hear you're getting into the fly fishing world. I heartily agree w/ you about the joy of casting.

I thought I'd add that the Morell fly boxes that BPL sells are great for a light backcountry box.
    http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/morell_foam_fishing_fly_box.html
    I've really enjoyed the pair of them that I have.

Curt Peterson
    BPL Member

@curtpeterson

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I've heard there are 1 pound waders out there, but the lightest I can find are around 2 pounds. Anybody run into some ultralight waders that are around a pound or so?

Kirk Olson

@kirkols

Locale: Florida and Seattle

My primary goal in backpacking is to get to distant bodies of water for fly fishing. I used to carry waders, boots and other necessities. Now I'm down to a 5 weight fly rod, reel, one small fly box, a small lanyard with the nippers, forceps, floatant and extra tippet, about 15 ounces in all. Waders and boots aren't necessary (and actually made me attempt less safe river crossings). Keen Boulders (or sandals), wool socks, wool leggings or shorts get me into 99% of the places I could go with boots and waders.

Scott Christy
    BPL Member

@scott_christy

Locale: Wydaho.

I too go sans waders. Since most of that alpine or sub-alpine mountain fishing takes place in the summer temperatures will be warm enough that waders aren't needed. I can't recall what Keens weigh but I think they are an excellent solution. I've used Crocs (11 oz) a bunch and while they don't perform great in steadily moving water, heavily cobbled stretches, or large rivers, but they will do fine in lakes and most small creeks. If Keens weigh in resonably, they would be a much better solution as they allow you a more stable approach platform as well.

John Mowery

@mow

Locale: Minnesota, USA

I'd add a pair of wadding socks:
    http://www.simmsfishing.com/site/guard_socks.html

They really help if you're planning on staying in the river a long time.

Regarding the advice to fly fishing versus spin cast; if you're a novice fly angler you may have a VERY frustrating experience trying to catch fish. If you're planning on eating trout make certain you have a good grasp of fly casting and all the nuance associated with fly angling.

If you're only going to fish passively, I'd take a hard look at spin casting.

Ken Larson
    BPL Member

@kenlarson

Locale: Western Michigan

Spin Cast Setup

Just put together a spin casting kit for the first time since I normally fly fish and would like to try spin casting. Here is my entry to "Lightest Fishing Kits":

ROD DAIWA (Model# DSC F503UL) 5" Ultra Light 2.71oz

ROD TUBE Florescent Tube Protector – 31.75" 1.83oz

REEL DAIWA (Model# 1000-B) SHOCK Ultra Light with 80'-6lb line) 6.70oz

TACKLE BOX PLANO (Model# 3214) – "modified" 4.30oz

TOTAL 15.54oz

LURES RAPELLA – Shad 0.18
    RAPELLA -Yellow Perch 0.21
    RAPELLA – Perch 0.09
    BANDIT – Blue Gill 0.34
    DARDEVIL – Red/White 0.32
    CABELA'S – Spoon – Gold 0.44
    LITTLE CLEO – Blue/Silver 0.14
    CABELA'S – Spoon – Silver 0.16
    MEPPS – Aglia Marabou Tail 0.14
    MEPPS – Silver Spinner 0.28
    SWEDISH PIMPLE – Gold 0.18
    LARSON'S FLIES – Woolley Worms 0.002
    Metal Leader with micro flasher 0.11
    Hooks, Swivels, Lead Shot 0.34

TOTAL 2.91oz

TOTAL WEIGHT OF EQUIPMENT 18.45oz

TOTAL COST UNDER $45.00
    Ken

Viewing 6 posts - 26 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools