Topic

Japanese influenced (JSB) alcohol stove

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Japanese influenced (JSB) alcohol stove

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 81 total)
  • Author
    Joshua Mitchell

@jdmitch

Locale: Kansas

Those pics are extremely good. That double burner definitely looks like it would have the potential of “volcanic” flames.

My compliments on the work you’ve done.

Anonymous

There’s what looks like a steel version of this alcohol stove at
    http://zenstoves.net/OpenFlameStoves.htm.

I would guess that this one might hold up a pot, but where do you find this can?

Yukio Yamakawa

@jsbjsb

Locale: Tokyo,JAPAN

どうかこちらを参考にしてください
    SUBJECT Japanese influenced (JSB) alcohol stove ON 08/26/2005 01:33:00 MDT
    SUBJECT Re: Re: Re: Re: Japanese influenced (JSB) alcohol stove ON 08/28/2005 07:28:20 MDT
    鉄=高熱に強いが加工するのが難しい。重い
    アルミニウム=加工しやすい。2枚重ねて
     ゴトク(stand)の耐熱性を高める。軽い

キーポイント。

2つの缶を重ねる前に、外側の缶を炙り、
    内側の缶にバターを塗ること。

横穴を開ける場合、中心に向けないで
    30度ぐらいの角度で、エキセントリックにする。

Billさんへ
    このスレッドの皆さんに上手く伝えてください。
    お手数かけますが、どうぞよろしく

Anonymous

Babel Fish Translation

It is strong in iron = temperature, but it is difficult to process.

Heavy aluminum = it is easy to process. 2 piling up, ゴトク (stand) it raises heat resistance. It is light Key point.

Before piling up two cans, the can outside is roasted, the butter is painted in the can inside. When the cave is bored, without directing to the center, with angle about of 30 degrees, it makes the eccentric.

Please convey to everyone of this thread well to Bill. The number of hands you apply, but please to be possible

My best guess:

Steel is strong but hard to work with.

“Thick” aluminum is easier to work with and lighter (key point). Take one can, heat it up, grease it with butter, then slip in another can (2 layers).

Shape your stove and angle the vents in at 30 degrees.

Bill – please pass this on to others.

Anonymous

Babel Fish Translation

It is strong in iron = temperature, but it is difficult to process.

Heavy aluminum = it is easy to process. 2 piling up, ゴトク (stand) it raises heat resistance. It is light Key point.

Before piling up two cans, the can outside is roasted, the butter is painted in the can inside. When the cave is bored, without directing to the center, with angle about of 30 degrees, it makes the eccentric.

Please convey to everyone of this thread well to Bill. The number of hands you apply, but please to be possible

My best guess:

Steel is strong but hard to work with.

“Thick” aluminum is easier to work with and lighter (key point). Take one can, heat it up, grease it with butter, then slip in another can (2 layers).

Shape your stove and angle the vents in at 30 degrees.

Bill – please pass this on to others.

Anonymous
    Bill Fornshell
    BPL Member

@bfornshell

Locale: Southern Texas

My studio/workshop and kitchen table have become a chaotic mess.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

I started a clean-up on Labor Day and may be finished in a day or two. I have several “JSB influenced” stoves done and have a few new ones started.

I have a new SUL Cook Set-up that is:
    Alcohol Stove (Cyclone) – 0.16oz
    Sterno Can Cook Pot – 0.37oz
    Pot Stand – 0.35oz
    Windscreen – 0.21oz
    Lid – 0.04oz

Total weight – 1.13oz ( going to a Fosters Can Cook Pot would add 0.56oz)

david chan

@davidc-1

Hey, Bill
    I think all this cyclone stove making is distracting you from your old “ever lighter” instincts. That pot support made from two rectangles of wire looks as if it would still work if you removed one edge of each rectangle, leaving two u-shaped pieces. If that doesn’t save enough weight you could cut the windscreen length a bit.

Seriously, great work. I can’t wait to see details of your cyclone stove experiments.

David

Yukio Yamakawa

@jsbjsb

tabo8978

私の友人が自作したストーブを紹介します。
    タバコの灰皿ケースを利用しているそうです。
    厚みは、僅かに14mmで
    指一本分に過ぎない。
    、、、、、、、、、、、、、、、、、、、、
    彼のURLはこちらです
     http://plaza.rakuten.co.jp/temaemiso/diary/200509020000/
    、、、、、、、、、、、、、、、、、、、、、  
    大きさは、80mm×50mm×14mm 
    燃焼実験の結果 本来の灰皿用の穴だけでは不足。 
    小さく 他に3箇所穴を開け 不燃綿(アスベストではない)を入れた。

燃焼時間10分 200ccの水が2分半で沸騰した。
    最初の8分ぐらいまで 青い炎がよく出る。
    少しは圧力がかかっているのか?
    燃料は、アルコール30cc弱。

、、、、、、、、、、、、、、、、、、、
    Billさんが自作したストーブセットと、対比してみましょう。
    両者ともに、独創的なアイディアに基づいています。
    しかし、収納方法は全く違っています。
    とても興味深いです。

私はどちらも素晴らしいと思います。

Bill Fornshell
    BPL Member

@bfornshell

Locale: Southern Texas
    Yukio Yamakawa

@jsbjsb

ryu3

This stove is called “IKAROS”.
    This is the alcoholic stove made for the first time.
    About two empty cans which made the hole, it is completion in piles. 15g of super-light weights and the cheap.

Yukio Yamakawa

@jsbjsb

An original model is in this site. Let’s enjoy a cyclone stove with us.

http://homepage1.nifty.com/jsb/stovecorner/konro15.htm

Hideaki Terasawa
    Spectator

@trsw3

Locale: Tokyo

I developed new alcohol stove.
    This has the fuel hole that made by Threaded Rivet Tool, and it fasten a steel wool wick.
    This heat feedback structure promotes the alcohol vaporization very well.
    Thanks to mixing with the air strongly, there is no imperfect gas. And it burn for a long time.
    One of the characteristics of this stove is very good combustion efficiency. Four of the outside jet holes are faced to a little outside direction of the center of the can. It make the cyclone flame. And two of the jet, placed near the screw, heats the screw’s head to hot as red.
    This stove is very easy to construction. And combustion sound is quiet.

See my blog page please.
    http://ulgoods.exblog.jp/1161427/

jacob thompson
    Spectator

@nihilist37

I just noticed that there hasn’t been any talk of Tinny’s latest stove. theNION looks to be another fasntastic inovation in the world of alcohol stoves. His last stove the SST also is a fantastic stove.

Vick Hines

@vickrhines

Locale: Central Texas

Yes, Tinny just keeps making them better. Also, check out Hideaki’s latest, posted above.

paul johnson

@pj

Locale: LazyBoy in my Den - miss the forest

hadn’t seen the NION yet – looks interesting. i generally just check out the MBD Store – looks like i’m missing a lot by not poking around John’s site more.

for my part, if he builds it, i will buy it.

yes…i have the SST, but haven’t tried it out yet. i’m waiting for my Nomex Racing Suit (fire-proof/resistant) to come back from the cleaners. that suit with gloves, boots, flame resistant balaclava, and racing helmet (with “smoked” face shield) will be worn. i’m going to be prepared for a full-fledged conflagration when i fire up the SST. actually it will be done outside on the deck, inside of the gas grill – as is all of my stove testing/familiarization; garden hose and fire extinguisher at the ready.

what do y’all think of the “wick” idea?

would love to hear Tinny weigh in here on the use of “wicks” with Alc. stove. John, are you out there? If so, please enlighten me, so that i no longer wallow in the mire of ignorance about wicks and alc. stoves. many thanks, pj

Ronald Dillon

@rdillon4

I’ve purchase several stoves from Tinny at MBD and they have all been well made and designed stoves. Over the last year Tinny has been making a lot of design improvements over the old sodacan alcohol stoves. I’m about to add the Nion to my gear, but I’ve been using a custom Stealth that has the screw sealing the top and the wick wrap around the outside. The wick wrap alone is a major advance, it makes the priming of the stove much more controllable and consistent, especially during the day when you can’t see the flame. Very little of Tinny’s new designs show up in his store area, you have to read the daily blogs and frequently the comments.
    Ron

paul johnson

@pj

before the SST, i purchased the SITH and Mini-SITH – both have the “priming” wick. these are my favorite stoves, esp. the “mini”.

John austin

@tinny

I have not been surfing the forums for a while so I have some catching up to do. Her are my two cents worth. The oriental stove builder has built a potstand that looks alot like an atomic potstand and now is experimenting with rivet nuts that are heated by jets to the point of glowing. Gee this sounds exactly like an SST. I wonder where he got the ideas from? WICKS– I only use a wick to hold the fuel for priming the stove. As far as using a wick to meter alcohol that is already a vapor inside the stove,I think this is a step backwards. I do have to say he has a very fertile mind but does not have the background to fuel it and is a rough carpenter. Sorry for anything that may be seen as negative but I have this bad habit of telling the truth and saying what is on my mind.—Tinny–

jacob thompson
    Spectator

@nihilist37

Today I received another package of stoves from tinny’s site and I just thought I would give some results on the few tests I did today.

I received my SST a little while back but had no chance to try it on any stoves for lack of potstands really. I finally got bother to make a rough stand today from a can I had laying around and a 2 titanium stakes through it. I will modify this design into something that works for me. I tested the sst first. I still haven’t got down the right ammount of priming fuel needed but I’m slowly getting there. I got a rolling boil about 30seconds before the fuel ran out. I used .75oz of fuel and it boiled 2 cups in about 4 mins. However, I really need to think of some other potstand for this model. I thought that there was no way this stove could hurt some titanium stakes. I was wrong. Luckily it didn’t end in tears with me on fire. I did however manage to make the stakes red hot and bend them under the weight of the pot. I dont think I’m going to try this experiment again.

I also tested my new NION stove. Now this is impressive. I used the same setup and about .5oz of fuel. I got it to sit just under a boil at about 12 mins and it remained nearly at this boil for another 13 mins. Thats 25 mins burn time on 15ml of alc. I think, a higher grade fuel than I use would yield better results on both of these stoves.

I’m looking forward to taking these out hiking and getting my friends jealous.

paul johnson

@pj

Jacob,

thanks for the report. since i don’t have a home “Smitty’s” furnace, i’ve been wondering how i’m going to heat the Ti rod i recently purchased fr/BPL. i’ll try cold bending first, but if that doesn’t produce the results i desire, i’ll try the SST. i had thought of cranking up the coal stove in the den, once the weather got colder, but that might be overkill.

so, the NION’s for sale now? i’ll have to hop over to the MBD site and order one.

thanks again for reporting your experiences with Tinny’s creations.

John austin

@tinny

I have been playing again and have redesigned the SST to burn Rubbing alcohol because it is just so easy to get. This will make buying fuel a breeze for hikers and the darn thing runs really smooth and hot. No smut !! This is a very complicated stove to build but super easy to use. tHIS VIDEO was taken at a room temp of 45 deg fer and The ISO was so low quality–70% that I had to use a wick to get it to light. When finished the stove has some water left over from the burn that must be dumper before the next fill–http://media.putfile.com/MiniBullDesign-ISO-stove-Video

John austin

@tinny

sorry for the loud volume but my video capture program doesn’t work very well on volume–So turn down your speakers before you play it. It is actually not very loud at all.

http://media.putfile.com/MiniBullDesign-ISO-stove-Video

paul johnson

@pj

no soot w/ISO. excellent John. good work. i think that you have another winner on your hands. off the top of your head, do you know the relative heat o.p. of Iso vs. ethyl/denatured Alc?

archeopteryx .

@archeopteryx2

Burning rubbing alcohol is very cool. When you have a chance could you test using 99% isopropyl? I remember that some stoves recommend adding water to the fuel to change how the stove burns (I forget what for exactly), so the higher concentration alcohol might burn differently as well as weighing less.

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 81 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools