Topic

durable gaiter instep strsp

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear durable gaiter instep strsp

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Ben Vestal

@hikinghobo6642

Locale: Southeast

I was always breaking the cords on gaiters that go underneath your instep so I came up with a great little strap that is super tough, super easy to make yourself and its adjustable. All you will need to make a pair is 4 primalock toggles, about 48 inches of 1/8" shock cord and 13 inches of 1/2" nylon webbing. Cut the nylon webbing in half making 2 six and a half inch pieces and sear with light flame. This will become the part you step on. Fold the edges of the ny-web 3/4" back on itself and sew a bartack or zigzag stich creating little loops and each end. Next, cut the shockcord into 4 12" pieces and sear the ends. Thread the shockcord through the loops in the ny-web and put a toggle or cordlock on each one. Congrats! You now have a very tuff instep strap that will last you a very long time. Attach it to your gaiter eyelets and your ready for scree duty.
    It clocks in at about .7 ounces, less if you remove the cordlocks, cut the shockcord down to size and tie it directly to the gaiter eyelets. For the material contact Kay at Quest Outfiiters (www.questoutfitters.com) (800) 359-6931. She is super sweet and always ready to help. It will cost you around $3 to make.
    For more pics and info you can look it up at my website http://www.mountainabout.com

View of nylon webbing on the instep.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools