Topic

Soft Shell Pants

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Soft Shell Pants

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Paul Ettestad
    BPL Member

@ettestad

I’m looking for some soft shell pants to wear while backpacking high in the Rockies in fall weather. I’ve read the soft shell review here at BPL, but a lot of styles have changed or been updated. REI has the ArcTerryx Gamma LT on sale and it only weighs 10 oz now, while Cloudveil has the Peak (their replacement for the Rodeo) which has a more reasonable cost. Anyone have experience with these new styles?

David Targan
    BPL Member

@jerimoth

Locale: New England

Yes, I have both. The Arc’teryx pant is very slightly thicker, and appears to be “tougher” for bush-wacking than the Cloudveil. I think they would be comparable in terms of warmth. The Arcteryx pant seems to shed water slightly better, though I’ve never done a side-by-side. The Cloudveil pants I think would both “wet-out” and dry out more quickly. These are just impressions from the field, not “scientific.” I have a hard time believing the Arcteryx pants are really 10 oz- when I get them to a scale I’ll check that out. The Cloudveils definitely seem lighter. It’s a close call.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools