Topic

bushbuddy stove as a snow melter

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Winter Hiking bushbuddy stove as a snow melter

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 26 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    Michael Skwarczek

@uberkatzen

Locale: Sudamerica

Hey Hendrik,

I actually just watched your video of the Inferno in action, and I was really impressed in comparison to the BB. I'm very interested in it now, and really looking forward to any report you can provide while relying on it for melting snow. Just watching that furnace in action, I'm fantasizing some real potential, so long as the fuel sources weren't compromised.

Let us know.

cheers,
    -Michael

Hendrik Morkel
    BPL Member

@skullmonkey

Locale: Finland

Hei Michael, I made a video of the Inferno in action – under winter conditions.

A teaser photo:

I'm really excited about it, as you can hear and see in the video above. Less than 8 minutes for going from snow to a boiling cup is really excellent! Much of that has of course to do with your source of fuel, if you have access on the trail to dry wood I am sure most wood burner stoves should fare well, but the Inferno is really good because of its high energy output. Tomorrow then a video of the BushBuddy Ultra in winter conditions!

Brian UL

@maynard76

Locale: New England

A few minor points,
    I can see using the bark "floor" for video presentation purposes, but wouldn't it be just fine to compact a little area and use the titanium floor?
    Also, you can find perfectly dry wood in the center of even damp and/or frozen wood if you split them. This has been discussed before.

just minor points- great video!

Hendrik Morkel
    BPL Member

@skullmonkey

Locale: Finland

And a BushBuddy Ultra in the snow video is now online =)

Brian, thanks for the positive comment! The "floor" is there because the floor of the Inferno would melt the snow, and I feel this makes it more stable. Regarding wood in the forest, sure its possible to find, though I reckon one would need to carry appropriate tools. I only carry a German Army knife, and while it has a saw I wouldn't want to saw anything with it. Though if you can give me a link to the previous discussions, or the article where this has been discussed, that would be great and I can learn some more fire making skills.

Jeff Cadorin
    BPL Member

@jeffcadorin-2

Locale: paper beats rock

Just thinking out loud here. In winter when more fuel is needed for a wood stove. At a little over 10oz would supplementing your kit with some pruners help? still be weight efficient?

like these

Brian UL

@maynard76

Locale: New England

There are no good threads specifically about wood splitting- usually mentioned in knife threads.
    The idea is to use a puukko and baton ( stout piece of wood) to split small pieces of wood to get to the good stuff in the center. An axe would be needed for bigger stuff but for the small stoves we use a knife is enough.
    it is described in more detail in "Bushcraft" By Mors Kochanski

Viewing 6 posts - 26 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools