Topic

daypack options from basecamp

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) daypack options from basecamp

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Michael Skwarczek

@uberkatzen

Locale: Sudamerica

I'm faced with a new dilemma: I'll be using a base camp for the first time and day hiking out and back from there. But I've never left my pack behind before, so I have no idea how to carry my essentials for the long day. I'm figuring to bring my 1L platy with hose (hopefully the hose, it'll be a long-fast trip), some food items, emergency kit, ER blanket, down vest. I'd only intended to use my Jam2, so what should I do for a day pack?

oh, and, btw, I'm leaving Friday night, 1/18 ::grin::

thanks,
    -Michael

Mark Verber
    BPL Member

@verber

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

You have three options:

1) Leave stuff you don't need in camp, use the compress straps on your jam2, and call it your day pack.

2) Pack up and take your stuff when you take your dayhike. It will give you some extra exercise and you don't have to remember what are the ten essential cause you will have everything with you :)

3) Buy some micro day pack that is packable and comfortable for day pack size loads. Personally… I haven't found something I would recommend. I would recommend option 1.

–mark

Brian UL

@maynard76

Locale: New England

Sounds like a good time to pack a SUL pack in the Jam2. Break it out when you need it and it will only cost you a few ounces. Terrain permitting a "fragile" pack of caorse.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Methinks you would want a separate day pack if your main pack is too big and too heavy. But your Jam2 is pretty darn light and you can supposedly downsize it quite a bit with the "compactor cords", right?

Maybe you can cut a few more ounces by getting a smaller, bona fide UL day pack, but (1) your load is likely to be a lot lighter already so do you really care, and (2) the extra day pack will simply be extra weight all through the rest of your hike.

Mike W
    BPL Member

@skopeo

Locale: British Columbia

Jeremy Cleaveland
    BPL Member

@jeremy11

Locale: Exploring San Juan talus

I've gone through the same dilemma when hiking the 46 Adirondack high peaks, but with the Golite Gust, which of course does not have the compactor things. I then developed a 2 oz daypack (basically a silnylon stuff sack with a single shoulderstrap and a waterbottle holder) the single strap carry is nice since it allows most of my back to breath, since it isn't covered by a pack. The pack holds about 1200-1500 cubic inches, which is just right for a long day hike. The over the shoulder concept allows fast access to the pack while hiking, and when going under blowdown, just swing it in front! when one shoulder gets tired, switch shoulders! When in my Golite Gust, or Cilogear 60L it goes on top and holds all the normal dayhike stuff for quick access, so the weight is never wasted, even on the approach. the 2 oz version is 1.1 oz silnylon with a waterbottle holder and a fixed length 1.5" grosgrain strap. with cuben fiber, the pack could weight next to nothing. You could tell people, "my daypack weights less than one of your socks!
    durability is surprisingly good. My first silnylon version is patched across the bottom and doing fine, after well over a month in the Adirondack High Peaks and carrying climbing gear around.
    If there is interest I could post a pattern and some pictures

Dondo .
    BPL Member

@dondo

Locale: Colorado Rockies

Just use your Jam 2 as a day pack. I've done the same thing with my original Jam. The weight for your day hike will be minimal so it doesn't matter too much how you pack it.

Michael Skwarczek

@uberkatzen

I'll take door number one.

Seeing as I'm faced with leaving gear at camp, if someone was going to nick that, at least I'll still have my pack. The Jam2 compresses down nicely so that'll do fine for the day. I'll see if it bounces 'round a lot.

And Jeremy, I'll have to sew up that daypack idea sometime and try out that single shoulder strap.

Thanks guys.

-Michael

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Michael:

Can you please post your gear list, your camp location, and approx. when you plan to do your day hike and how long you think you will be away? Thanks. :)

Michael Skwarczek

@uberkatzen

Better yet, how about if I just give you my address while I'm away. The key's under the mat. Hehe.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Indeed. Have a fun hike. The Jam2's compactor system looks really simple. Let us know how well it works. Thanks.

Rick Dreher
    BPL Member

@halfturbo

Locale: Northernish California

There are a few stuffsacks that convert to daypacks, but I don't know of a lighter one than the Integral Designs version.

http://www.integraldesigns.com/product_detail.cfm?id=770&CFID=72203&CFTOKEN=11355153&mainproducttypeid=1

Dave T

@davet

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I use a drawstring pack for a bear bag and possible bug out bag– something to throw my essentials in if I have to abandon my main pack, like running down the trail to get help for someone who is injured, etc. They are typically used as promotional products and are sold by Nike and others as gym bags. I found one the other day with a Head logo on it and it has a bottle holder on the side. Some have grosgrain webbing, others have braided line that could be swapped out for more comfort. I think they are perfect for taking essentials on a walk from camp. They go for a dollar or two in a thrift store.

Drawstring bag

I have hidden my pack in the woods many times while taking a side trip. You need to take precautions with your food and such. If you have a stout enough bear line, you could just hang the whole pack out of site from the trail.

Michael Skwarczek

@uberkatzen

OK, someone snuck into our camp and ran my underwear up the flag pole!?!? Ben?

The Jam2 compressed perfectly into a daypack for our jaunt up Cone Peak in Big Sur (itch). It was sung against my back with no bouncing around (scratch). No need to leave additional gear (itch::scratch) like a sleeping bag, or sleeping pad, to lend structure or fill space. Thumbs up!

…. jeezus, it got there too! (scratch::scratch::scratch)

-Michael

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

LOL… good to know the pack worked for you. It's one reason why I love frameless UL packs: comfy enough to haul a regular load and yet light and simple enough for use as summit pack or day pack. And the simple but apparently effective compactor system makes it even better.

Mike Hinsley

@archnemesis

Locale: England, UK

A Silnylon stuff sack with a drawstring closure is a good bet. You can use the stuffsack for keeping gear in when hiking and then use it as a pack when daytripping.

If you want heavy luxury then black diamond do a 300g 15L Silnylon daysack which is bombproof.

Coleman do a 20L Travel bacckpack that weighs in at 200g in Ripstop polyester-nylon.

Frankly, if I'm travelling light rather than ultralight then a drawstring bag is what I take for day trips – simple, small, light, reliable.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools