Topic

Did I miss Tater Tuesday?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Food, Hydration, and Nutrition Did I miss Tater Tuesday?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Laurie Ann March

@laurie_ann

Locale: Ontario, Canada

Hey – where is today's tater recipe? Sarah where are you?

Kathleen B

@rosierabbit

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Laurie – I've got her figured out. She posts on her own freezerbagcooking.com website first. I checked there last night, and sure enough!

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

I did get it up – just not here ;-) My excuse is my dental appts are killing me! I am getting braces on in less than a week so it has been visit after visit getting everything done.

So yeah, expect a LOT of mashed potato recipes in the near future ;-)

Laurie Ann March

@laurie_ann

sorry – I'll have to remember to check the blog (I should actually just subscribe to the feed)

Jim Colten
    BPL Member

@jcolten

Locale: MN

Sarah, if I may make a suggestion …. consider adding "yields x.y cups" in addition to "serves n" at the end of your recipes.

Early on I packed meals for a remote week long trip with mid-teen boys trusting recipe comments like "a meal in itself" etc …. we had no resupply options.

This ended up being a pretty substantial menu but it still was not enough to satisfy these kids ("I only eat one meal a day, it starts when I wake and ends when I fall asleep!)

On the other extreme, a similar menu for a group of 7 youngish scouts on a less strenuous itinerary had 1/3 uneaten at the end of the trip.

That's a long way of saying "ya just can't win" … but having quantitative serving sizes improves the odds.

Jim Colten
    BPL Member

@jcolten

Locale: MN

And a question. Would "burger rocks" (dehydrated cooked burger) work OK where you specify flavored TVP?

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

Yes, hamburger gravel works perfectly :-) The "Beef" TVP looks just like as well. Same size, etc.

Sizes….you have a good point. I will start measuring out the finished meals :-) The soups are easy to do (2 cups water? Big bowl). I have been trying in the past year or so to have all the recipes uniform in how much starch is added (1 cup rice, 3/4 cup dry potatoes, etc). Still, my meal size is not the meal size of a grown man I can tell you that! (My son at 10 eats nearly twice as much as me now…..)

Laurie Ann March

@laurie_ann

I know this was directed at Sarah but this is good information for me as well. You bring up a good point and I should have done that with A Fork in the Trail. The meals in that book are on the hearty side and I used ranges to reflect appetite differences. That said when cooking the food prior to dehydration you can get a feel for the serving sizes anyway – still having that listed would be a great help.

It is a great idea Jim – thanks for mentioning it. Perhaps I can add this to the website at a later date.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools