Topic

PCT pack choice

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) PCT pack choice

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Patrick Craddock

@pcraddock

I'm looking for a good pack choice for hiking the PCT. I'm new to light hiking, but I think I'll get down to a pretty small pack size. I'm using an alcohol stove, tarptent, and minimal gear.

I'm looking at packs such as the Golite packs, versus a minimalist internal frame such as the Vapor Trail by granite gear. Any thoughts?

thanks in advance

Jeffrey Loso
    BPL Member

@vagabon

Locale: Midwest

If you are looking to get a light weight pack check out http://www.ula-equipment.com . Brian makes wonderful packs that have a comfortable load transfer system yet are still quite light.

Dave T

@davet

Kathleen B

@rosierabbit

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Ditto Jeff's recommendation. I use a Relay for day trips and a Circuit for multi-day trips. They are excellent packs.

Mark Verber
    BPL Member

@verber

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

There are people who thru hike the PCT with a frameless pack. Personally I won't do it because there are section that you are likely going to need to be carrying at least 20-25lbs and that's more weight that many people can comfortably carrying in a frameless pack. If you haven't carried that sort of weight in a frameless pack for at least 15 miles… give it a shot before deciding in you are going to use a frameless pack on the PCT.

My recommendation is to carry the extra 6-20oz and go with a pack that has some sort of frame. I would recommend the Vapor Trail, but there are a lot of nice choices from Six Moon Designs, Gossamer Gear, ULA, etc. I have a list of my experiences with light packs

Do said you were doing a light load, so why did I say you could be carrying at least 20 or 25lbs? In the south, you often can count on reliable water (e.g. carry most of a days water) in conditions that are warm. There will be stretches were you will need to carry between 5-9 days of food depending on how fast you hike, willingness to hitchhike or go out of your way to resupply such as between Whitney and VVR.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Patrick:

You mentioned that you are new to backpacking. Spend a lot of time reading, analyzing and choosing your gear pieces first. Once you've got everything down, you will be in a much better position to buy a pack that's got the right comfort, capacity and features.

Read Dave T's post up above again — about buying a pack and afterwards realizing that it's unnecessarily big. That has happened to far too many of us. So again, defer your pack choice until you have truly finalized everything else.

Ryan Faulkner
    Spectator

@ryanf

The one pack I will always recomend is the Golite Jam. I love almost everything about it.

I have used it for many long distance trips without resupply, with weights up to 40lbs (loaded with food/water/sierra gear for 10 days without resupply)

the side fins handle the load well, and with my ridgerest rolled up inside, it creastes a virtual frame…

I will never go back to a framed pack for anything but the highest weights, which I usually dont encounter unless I was planning a 7 summit type mountain climb.

I am planing a 10 day/270 mile CDT segment for this summer, again without resupply, so I am looking at a 35lb starting weight (not including water) and of course I am taking my jam pack.
    my dad is looking to replace his GG mariposia pack(used for all the same trips my Jam has endured) with the ULA conduit. This pack is comprable to the jam in material, weight, and size. so I beleive it will perform similarly.

my recomendations for 3 season… Golite jam, ULA-conduit.
    4 season… Golite gust, Pinnacle.
    SUL trips, MLD zip/prophet, GG wisper

FRAMED PACK… take a look at six moon designs

Inaki Diaz de Etura
    BPL Member

@inaki-1

Locale: Iberia highlands

I went frameless on the PCT and not particularly UL. Base weight was 10.6 lbs., max was 43 lbs. out of Kennedy Meadows with 12 days and lots of snow ahead. I used a Granite Gear Virga which became my perfect pack when I added a real hipbelt. Tightly packed, with the sleeping pad rolled inside, it was a solid block and with the hipbelt I could really transfer weight to my hips. I was actually carrying most of the weight on my hips when the pack was fully loaded. You can see a review of the whole thing here, scroll down to find the pack comments.

I agree with previous comments that it's worth the extra weight of a reasonably durable fabric if you want your pack to go the distance without worries. But people use silnylon or even spinnaker packs on the PCT and they make it too. Bottom line, this is a very personal thing. I can tell you what worked for me and why, what I liked and what I didn't like but you have to try and see for yourself. Nothing beats your own experience.
    The PCT is a long trip and I think it's a good idea to avoid trying major new things (gear or techniques) if you want it to run smoothly. Try to figure out your gear (all of it) and the way everything works together as much in advance as you can and do so by doing actual trips. At the end, motivation is everything and that's what'll take you there but being confident on your gear helps with motivation.

Dave T

@davet

Frank Perkins

@fperkins

Locale: North East

You want to consider

sixmoondesigns.com
    gossamergear.com
    ula-equipment.com
    golite.com
    mountainlaureldesigns.com

I have been wrestling with a new pack and almost change daily between GG Mariposa Plus, ULA AMP or Conduit, Golite Jam2 and MLD Zip.

The good news, as long as you pick a bag that can comfortably handle your gear size and weight, you really can't go wrong with any of these companies. They're all A+ and what you're left with is making decisions on durability, features, etc

[BTW, as of right now, GG Mariposa Plus is in the lead]

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools