Topic

Down Booties

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Down Booties

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Steven Evans
    BPL Member

@steve_evans

Locale: Canada

After battling cold feet on my last trip, and with an upcoming trip where temps will be much lower and the trip much longer, I have decided that I need down booties for camp. After extensive hunting, the ones that caught my eye are the Feathered Friends Down boots. I like the fact that you can take the shells off and leave the liner on – it's also nice that they come above the ankle. Just looking for any comments on them, or perhaps another lightweight system to keep feet warm in camp @ -20C or so.

Mark Verber
    BPL Member

@verber

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

The FF looks quite nice.

Other options that my family has used:

My daughter uses Montrail Bivouac PrimaLoft Booties which you can find on clearance for around $30). Decent, but not as warm as the FF. With a wool sock she has been fine into those temps… but she runs a bit hot. Size up one… they are too tight around the ankle otherwise.

When it's -20C it's likely that I will be wearing RBH designs vapor barrier insulated socks already. I would layer over them a pair of integral designs hot socks (primaloft insulated, 4oz) with a pair of PolarWrap Insoles since the hot socks insulation compresses when you walk on them. Not as classy as the FF booties… but it gets the job done.

Tony Wong
    BPL Member

@valshar

Steve,

You might want to give these a try.

They were reviewed well on BPL.

I just bought a pair and will be using them for the 1st time this upcoming weekend in the Sierras.

I doubt that I would ever see temps as low as 20 Degrees, but I was attracted to them because they are light weight and are synthetic fill.

If you are interested, check out the following link:

http://www.40below.com/product_detail_public.php?ProductID=377

I run cold and plan on using them in camp and in my 15 Degree Marmot Helium EQ to hopefully keep warm.

After my trip next weekend, I will post up my experience with them.

Hope this helps you.

Matthew L.
    BPL Member

@gungadin

Locale: Pittsburgh, PA

The FF down booties are great. I have had my pair for three years, and they have reliably kept my feet warm each time I use them. The versatility of having the shells is very nice and was the reason why I bought them. They aren't cheap but of all the booties I saw, they best matched what I wanted. FF stuff is top-notch!

Steven Evans
    BPL Member

@steve_evans

Mark,
    I'm still learning what works well for me, but I tend to take my VB socks off when I get to camp to allow my feet to "breath" during dinner and before getting into the VB in my sleeping bag. The cold feet come into effect after I put my feet back into my usually wet boots and sit around camp (ie. I stop moving). Therefore, I was thinking I would get some down booties for when I want my feet to breath and dry out. What is your opinion (or anyone with experience) with using VB's the entire time you are out. Is this the norm?

Tony,
    40 below makes some nice stuff. I'm still deciding if I want to go a different footwear root and pick up the light energy overboots.
    I saw the 40 below camp booties just yesterday, but figured if I was going to go with something that is 10 oz, I would like them to go higher up the ankle. A benefit is that they are synthetic. MEC (literally across the street from me) has something similar, synthetic aswell although without all the strapping, and at about 1/2 the price and weight.

http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_detail.jsp?FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302734361&PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524442619876&bmUID=1200401858720

However, please let me know how they work out as I am very interested.

I'm only drawn to the FF booties because they seem very versatile…mid calf height, removable liner, WB shell – they just seem to offer so much more then the other options…plus they are in stock and ready to ship!

Thanks guys!

John Haley

@quoddy

Locale: New York/Vermont Border

So far my FF own booties have worked very well. The ability to separate the inner and outer portions makes them ideal for wearing around camp on those very cold nights. I originally got them for hammock use along with an overstuffed FF Winter Wren… and they worked great for this too. Wear the inners and when it's time to go outside just slip the Evazote soled outer portion over them.

FF Down inners and Evazote soled outer shells

Steven Evans
    BPL Member

@steve_evans

Gentlemen,
    I think I am sold on these, and will order a size large. can I get a weight verification? it states that all sizes weigh 9oz….just want to make sure they aren't 12oz or something like that!

Mark Verber
    BPL Member

@verber

I also give my feet a bit of time out of the vapor barrier… but for me it's after I get into my sleeping bag. Sometimes they stay off all night cause my bag is plenty warm for me. They go back on if my feet are having trouble warming up after several hours. [My winter trips these days are typically short enough that I don't have to worry about moisture accumulation from insensible perspiration.]

–mark

John Haley

@quoddy

Locale: New York/Vermont Border

Steve…

Just weighed my FF size large and they were 276g or 9 3/4oz.

Steven Evans
    BPL Member

@steve_evans

Mark, Matthew, Tony – thank you very much for the info and input.
    John,
    Thanks for the pics and the info – and for being so fast! Just ordered the last 2 large pairs FF had in stock. One pair for my buddy and one for me. No choice in colors…one yellow and one orange. Both with purple liners!

Christopher Chupka

@fattexan

Locale: NTX

I have seen the Sierra Designs Classic Down Booties on sale for as cheap as $25. Anyone try these? I can't find a weight listed anywhere. For strictly sleeping the Classic Down Sleepies look good too. I bought a pair of the Sleepies for my wife around the house and they weigh only 3 1/4 ounces. Problems is I can't find them in the XL size for my 12 foot.

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

I have a pair of Sierra Designs Down Mutts. They weigh in at around 4oz for the pair.

Colin D.

@colbeans

Locale: Northern British Columbia

Christopher I own the Sierra Designs Classic Down Booties they're nice for around the house but I'd go for one of the other options posted above if you're looking to use them for something more serious ;)

Brian Lewis

@brianle

Locale: Pacific NW

A lighter option — certainly not as warm but lighter — are the Integral Designs Hot Socks, reviewed here I believe.

Mine weigh 5.0 ounces (141 grams) in size large — that's the pair inside the supplied silnylon stuffsack. The size large are marginally large enough for my roughly size 10 feet that I can wear a reasonably thick wool sock inside, which is a nice way to have some flexibility in how warm my feet are. In warmer weather and/or in a warmer bag I might wear the hot socks just over a liner sock.

If really cold, I might stuff a small section of ccf pad in at the backs of the heels. That gets a little cramped for me, but it's do-able if needed.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools