Topic

WM Highlite vs Summerlite

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) WM Highlite vs Summerlite

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 26 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    F. Thomas Matica

@ftm1776

Locale: Vancouver, WA

Although academic, my question is why 32 degrees for the Summerlite and 30 degrees for the Megalite?
    Same loft according to WM; Summerlite less width, no collar; Megalite, wider, half collar. it just seems like there would be no difference in temperature rating. The specifications would cancel out any difference. Their temp spec surely is "splitting hairs". Any ideas?
    Thomas……….Vancouver,WA

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

Frank,
    If you only sleep with the straps between you and a pad then they will seem long. In colder situations this is often t he case.

But if you run the straps under a sleeping pad the free end needs to reach back to the side opposite the buckle, with a little to spare, so you can pull on it to "tighten things up". And during the setup process when things are a little loose that extra strap comes in handy.

The under-the pad-routine is convenient as it helps hold the quilt in place.

Definitely give it a try before getting out the knife.

t.darrah
    BPL Member

@thomdarrah

Locale: Southern Oregon

The Megalite has 12 oz of down fill and the Summerlite has 10 oz, more down equals warmer (lower temp) rating. One would think the narrower cut of the Summerlite would allow the 10 oz of fill to equal the wider Megalite with its 12 oz, but 2 degrees is really not worth concern IMO. If the narrow cut that WM uses on some models is a concern I would opt for the wider Megalite if trying to decide between the two.

Rod Lawlor
    BPL Member

@rod_lawlor

Locale: Australia

I'm not sure this is relevant, but how do you rate a bag to 10 degrees, rather than 9 or 11. I think we need to accept that all these ratings are pretty subjective anyway, and only really comparable amongst bags from the same manufacturer.

Therefore someone at WM has determined that the Summerlite is "a bit" warmer than a Megalite.

Now if someone has a Summerlite they want to sell, shoot me a PM. I'm your man!!

Rod

Viewing 4 posts - 26 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools