Topic

Help me choose a sleeping insulation system

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Help me choose a sleeping insulation system

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    ERIC PAYNE
    Spectator

@vaporjourney

Locale: Greater Gila

This will be for the PCT, starting in socal.

Clothing worn to bed in either situation:

-TiGoat Bivy
    -GG Torso length 3/4" sleeping pad
    -L/S Capilene 1 shirt also worn while hiking
    -Capilene 1 bottoms
    -Golite windshirt
    -fleece beanie
    -Buff around neck
    -Coolibar gloves

Insulation options:

A) Arc Alpinist quilt
    B) JRB Shenandoah (~45*) quilt with WM Flight jacket

I'm thinking that the amount of insulation in both systems will be about the same. I like the second setup a bit more because it gives me insulation to wear around camp. The only downside is that I worry I will lose insulation fairly quickly when putting on the jacket while my only shirt is sweaty and dirty. i suppose frequent washings may be necessary. Then again, I could always wrap the Arc Alpinist around my torso for warmth, but that's no fun when doing chores around camp…

john Tier
    Spectator

@peter_pan

Locale: Co-Owner Jacks 'R' Better, LLC, VA

Eric,

Since you talk of wearing the quilt in option two…. Do you mean the JRB Stealth vs the listed JRB Shenandoah? Virtually the same weight.

Pan

ERIC PAYNE
    Spectator

@vaporjourney

Locale: Greater Gila

No, the quilt I have is definitely the Shenandoah, not the Stealth. The Shenandoah isn't exactly wearable. In that setup, I'd be wearing the WM jacket. My idea of 'wearing' a quilt (ie wrapping it around me) would just be with the Arc Alpinist, since I wouldn't have another insulating layer to wear around camp.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools