Topic

New Precip, or something else?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion New Precip, or something else?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Robb Stanek
    Spectator

@rstanek

Locale: Southeast, Atlanta, GA

My Marmot Precip is due to be replaced. Many years of fine service, but now looking to replace it based on general wear.

I love this jacket, the venitlation is great, and the weight is pretty good (have a lighterweight option for UL trips). This has been my go to jacket for when weight was not as much as an issue, but durability and layering options were more important.

The Montbell Versalite looks like a good option, although a bit pricey. Anyone had experience with this jacket?

The big thing for me with the precip is the double ventilation option (pockets and huge pit zips). REI's jacket missed the mark here.

Picking a precip up when it's on clearance is hard to beat at the $60 mark, but if you know of any other jackets I should consider that fall into this category, please share.

Mark Verber
    BPL Member

@verber

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

The Montbell Versalite is a nicely made jacket which I seem to recall had approx the same breathability as the Marmot Precip. Another jacket in this class is the North Face Diad which has been popular recently.

I much prefer Montbell Peak which is more breathable and tends not to feel clammy when against the skin. Alas, it's more expensive, $198. If you have the cash to burn (sounds like not) I would recommend checking out an eVENT jacket… I list a few on my recommended rainwear page.

Personally I use my Montbell Peak when I need the durability… otherwise I use BPL DropStoppers. They are ugly, fragile, and ill fitting, but they are highly breathable and cheap enough to replace several times while still being cheaper than getting a more durable jacket.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Take a look also at the MontBell Particle jacket — MontBell website gives it the same high breathability.

George Matthews
    BPL Member

@gmatthews

As another 'something else'…

Consider replacing your old Precip with a poncho tarp. I've tried this and so far so good, but I have not experienced heavy rain using a poncho tarp. Others here have done so successfully.

On my last trip I still took my Precip pants, but I did not use them. Only was a slight chance of rain. Only light rain intermittently. Also slept in a bivy sack under the poncho tarp.

I got a pair of Rocky Gore-Tex socks and will take them on my next trip instead of the Precip pants depending on the temperature and conditions.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools