Topic

sleep system layering: down/ polarguard

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) sleep system layering: down/ polarguard

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Harry Dodge

@harrydodgekahn-com

i’m pretty much brand new at all of this ultra light stuff. i got some deals and hope i’ve put together a sleep system that will work in all kinds of weather. in the summer i have sleeping bags for two!

for 149 bucks on clearance, i got a 2004 SD wicked fast 30 degree 800 fill down “top bag” 16 oz. with about four inches of loft (WAY more total loft than the MH phantom 32 (which i thought sort of was optimistic when i used it) i’m going to remove one of the zippers from this bag, and replace the other full zip (it’s sold with a nylon removable back, i.e. two full length zippers) with a half zip. i’m thinking of making the back panel more narrow at the same time, to sort of mimic GVP top bag design (16″ back panel)

my cool weather plan is to layer this down top bag…put in inside of the North Face Propel which is a polarguard delta, quantum 40 degree bag 16 oz. ($129 at campmor) and if weather demands i have a patagonia micropuff pullover (on clearance 89 bucks) and (will have) cocoon pants.put this inside of Mountain Laural Designs epic soul bivy (a “second” off his clearance page 90 bucks) and sleep under an MLD sil-nylon solo grace tarp (also a second off his clearance rack 60 bucks)

i’m gonna be primarily in the deserts of southern california.

my questions are: 1.) what kind of temps do you think i’ll be comfortable at with these different layers? as a normal temp sleeper.

2.) will these layers on top of the down compress the down too much?

3.) the fabric on the down bag is VERY light nylon, will my sweat condensation remain in the down? or move through the nylon and into the polarguard insulation in the Propel bag? or push up through the quantum and deal with the epic?

4.) In other words, how do folks think this system of FABRIC AND INSULATION layering will function. with and without the bivy? will the Propel bag serve as a sort of mild bivy since it’s made with quantum?

i’m a TAD confused about how epic works? you need to have heat that pushes the vapor out? it needs to be colder outside the bivy sack? i’d like to avoid condensation problems. it seems like BREATHING outside of the bivy sack is key, if possible. anything else?

i got two of these propel bags…was going to make some sundry items from the one. should i keep it for my winter layering system and forego the down because the polarguard bag will compress it too much?

thanks so much. i look forward to any and all feedback.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools