Topic

best alcohol stove for simmering

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) best alcohol stove for simmering

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Daniel Schmidt

@dschmidt

Does anyone have any recommendations for an alcohol stove that is best for simmering(ability to adjust the flame across a range of flame sizes)? I read the BPL reviews and the brasslite looks good for simmering but is too inefficient and susceptible to wind. I have found that often that a simmer cap is too hot and varies with pot size and volume size.

Mike Storesund

@mikes-1

IMHO, I believe the Trangia Stove is the best alcohol stove for simmering that is all inclusive. This is because of the adjustable cap that you can set before placing it over the flame. It can also be adjusted with a stick or knife blade while in place.
    I am sure simmering caps can be made for other stoves that are lighter, but I have not seen or read of one that works as well or as easy as the Trangia.

Glenn Roberts

@garkjr

Locale: Southwestern Ohio

Mike: I like the Trangia stoves, too, though I’ve never really played with the simmer ring. (I tend to use boil-water-and-dump-in meals.) The movable part of the top on mine seems awfully stiff – seems like it might be difficult to adjust with a stick. Is that a concern, or does it just loosen up with use?

Also, I use the Clikstand stove base. I don’t see any way that you can use the simmer ring with it, given the interference by the walls. Am I missing anything, or is it just the price you pay for the overall efficiency of the Clikstand?

Finally, just out of curiosity – which stove base do you use?

Daniel Schmidt

@dschmidt

I decided to try out a brasslite Turbo I since they are on clearance right now. Its variable simmer is not the easiest to use, but much easier than the trangia and much lighter. It allows for a wide range of flame control. This is great even if I am not just simmering, as pot sizes and water amounts vary, so should flame size for efficiency.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Mike,
    I have a couple of Trangia stoves in my collection as well, the simmer ring does it’s job but it takes a little practice and a worn in smooth turning ring top helps a lot. Like Glenn I switched to the boil & dump in meal cooking style. Food & its preparation has never been that much a priority. Long as it taste half decent and gives enough calories to last the day I’m happy.

Mike Storesund

@mikes-1

Glen,
    I too use the Clikstand and the simmer ring works great. I can bring to a boil and simmer for 15 minutes with just 2 ounces. Yes the twist top is a little stiff at first, but it will loosen up some. I started using a stick and gently tap it. At first it completely cut off the flame, so it did take some toying with and now when I use an alcohol stove, the Trangia with Clikstand is all I use.

Glenn Roberts

@garkjr

Locale: Southwestern Ohio

The answer eventually comes through. I just set mine up to figure it out – I was (due to some kind of mental block) only trying to set the simmer lid on where the “handle” of the ring went into the side of the Clikstand. Now I see that it works fine if you let the “handle” go into the corners instead. This Homer Simpson moment brought to you courtesy of Clikstand and a satisfied, if not exceptionally astute, user! Thanks.

Mike Storesund

@mikes-1

Doh! (roflmao about Homer)

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools