Topic

Big Sur Vincente Flats/Cone Peak

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Hiking Partners / Group Trips Big Sur Vincente Flats/Cone Peak

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Anthony Weston
    BPL Member

@anthonyweston

Locale: Southern CA

Anyone interested in going backpacking to Big Sur Cone Peak/Vincente flats on 1/19, 1/20 and 1/21. I was there last year, it was great, the brightest stars I've ever seen in my life. You hike up a goat path with the Sea below. Vincente Flats is a small grove of redwoods with a creek. Cone Peak is just 5,155feet but the highest coastal mountain in the lower 48. Last year the Fog around Cone peak captured my imagination and I want to go back.

The poison oak should be less aggressive but bring gloves. There are several downed trees to climb over and under. The trail head is across the road from Kirk Creek
    http://www.campone.com/

Anyone interested, email me at
    aweston{at}support{dot}ucla{dot}edu

later,
    Tony

Casey Bowden
    BPL Member

@clbowden

Locale: Berkeley Hills

Tony,

I'm familiar with the area but not that specific trail. Does it have nice views of the ocean during the hike? Does the trail stay far enough away from the road that you don't notice it or cars? The trailhead is a few hundred feet above sea level, the peak is over 5000 feet, what elevation is Vincente Flat at?

Thanks

Casey

Anthony Weston
    BPL Member

@anthonyweston

Vincente Flats is at about 2100 feet. check out photo's on
    webshots
    http://community.webshots.com/album/562074260iedlLk

Anthony Weston
    BPL Member

@anthonyweston

The trail immediately climbs a few switchbacks and you are so high up you don't notice the road, however you can hear the booming of the surf in places as you hike.

doug colacicco

@fangtooth

Locale: ventana wilderness

hey tony

bummer i'll be in desolation during that time souds cool though yeah the flats has great ocean views a good part of the trail and as far as being close to the road its not only one draw back its squirrel season and band tail so keep an ear and eye open its a great place rich in history have a blast thanx for letting me know doug

Anthony Weston
    BPL Member

@anthonyweston

a friend of mine sent me this link, it's a picture of the sea from Cone Peak in Winter with snow on the top.

http://www.outdoorsclub.org/forum/display_topic_threads.asp?ForumID=18&TopicID=25181&ThreadPage=1

Michael Skwarczek

@uberkatzen

Locale: Sudamerica

I'm really excited about this trip; I've been looking for an introduction to Big Sur.

Anthony and I have already been in discussion about altering the trip slightly to accommodate just a weekender. I'm driving up Friday night and sleeping at the trail head (or there abouts). We'll head out Saturday morning; returning by Sunday night.

Anyone else going to make it?

-Michael

Anthony Weston
    BPL Member

@anthonyweston

Michael there are 3 of us so far, anther woman named Megan signed up through outdoorsclub where I posted the trip.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools