Topic

Dispoable Backpacking Gear?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Dispoable Backpacking Gear?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Steve Gillman

@mochilero

I once paid $20 for what was essentially a plastic bivy sack. To my surprize, I was relatively dry after an all night rain. The problem of condesation may be over-rated, I decided.

So I made a bivy sack from two garbage bags duct-taped together. It weighed 4 ounces, and was 3’x7′. It fit in my pocket, and left me only a little damp in the morning (don’t breath inside it). I hit the trail and was dry in a few minutes. This type of bivy is best for a dry climate, but I haven’t had any real problems yet.

Any other cheap, light gear ideas out there?

Steve

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Don’t mean to sound contrarian, but I feel ambivalent about disposable gear.

On the one hand, one can improvise and come up with something that’s clever, light and cheap; but on the other hand, things made out of garbage bags (for example) don’t last and they just end up in our landfills. Not a problem for any one person doing this, but collectively, I think the direction is toward less garbage — esp. plastics.

Never liked the idea of disposable cameras…

Daniel Schmidt

@dschmidt

Yeah, its called o2 rainshield jacket and pants. Its cheap and you will have to dispose of it soon after use because it falls apart. My point being if its disposable maybe its not cheap since you’ll have to repurhase/produce several times.

Steve Gillman

@mochilero

I do the math, and some disposables, like my plastic groundsheets, are cheaper even after a lifetime of replacing them. The enviromental issue is a seperate one, and easier to deal with when one has more money.

Steve

*** URL REMOVED ***

jack flanagan

@jackflanagan

Steve – I’m a bit curious about your perception of the relationship between wealth and having an easier time dealing with environmental issues. I don’t want to take issue with it, but it’s an intriguing statement.

I share Benjamin’s ambivalence. On the other hand, I usually find that things like plastic trash bags used for pack-liners (or bivy sacks) can be re-used as (ahem) bags for trash after they’ll no longer keep gear dry.

paul johnson

@pj

Locale: LazyBoy in my Den - miss the forest

until Steve has a chance to reply…

perhaps this is what his meaning is…

not to put words in Steve’s mouth, but i interpreted his statement to mean that…

when one has more money, one can afford to purchase the more expensive non-disposable item instead of having to periodically shell out smaller amounts for disposable gear.

please, don’t take my comments as either an endorsement or a condemnation of either side of this issue.

Harry Dodge

@harrydodgekahn-com

we choose our lapses in environmental and social responsibility. either consciously or unconsciously, either seeking information or turning a blind eye. hopefully we (as land lovers) are constantly improving our behaviors, ticking off a jillion little or big steps on our way toward sustainability and compassion.

gas exhaust to the trailhead always bugs me most. oh, and shopping at corporate stores- (which i do) simultaneously witnessing with dread as corporations homogenize the planet. also i kick myself re: all the garbage i generate at home from non-recyclable packaged foods. re-use is a great concept regarding landfill. another thought is the human reality behind a company’s employee practices, etc. just more grist for the mill. the angles and combinations of choices are indeed infinite.

in comraderie,

Ryan Jordan
    Admin

@ryan

Locale: Central Rockies

Please refrain from signing forum postings with URL’s to commercial sites, in accordance with our forum policy, unless that URL is specifically provided in context with the current discussion. If you have a question about this policy, please review our recent post about the topic here.

This policy is in place to keep the forum content as commercial-free as possible and the discussions as focused as possible.

Users who are doing this on a regular basis have been flagged internally and are being monitored on a regular basis. To date, forum posts are being edited to remove URL’s by the forum moderators. Users that continue to do this will be banned from the forums.

Ed Marrone

@bktourer1

I made a collander from the bottom of a Folgers large plastic container. Cut off the bottom about 2″ high and drilled enough holes to drain pasta and veggies. I can use my pot holder to move it without slipping. I also use it upside down to keep bugs out of the food until I’m ready to eat. At the end of the trip you can put it in your recycle bin. I’ve used mine for 2 years
    ED

Vick Hines

@vickrhines

Locale: Central Texas

Dr. J,
    Does the ‘materials sourcing’ thread under ‘make it yourself’ run afoul of the policy? It is much more convenient to post URLs for materials sources.

Ryan Jordan
    Admin

@ryan

Locale: Central Rockies

That’s fine, Vick – good info.

john Tier
    Spectator

@peter_pan

Locale: Co-Owner Jacks 'R' Better, LLC, VA

Oh Contrare…

I used O2 Rainwear for a 650 mile section of the AT in Rainy 03…wore them almost every day…. put another 30 days of weekend hikes on them… they are still servicable, but retired to my bin of loaner gear in favor of Dri Dicks ( same type and weight material) because the color is more applealing to me.

I do agree they are not suited for bushwacking…but then our challenge is always to match the lightest gear to the conditions expected…

Jack

Vick Hines

@vickrhines

Locale: Central Texas

Yeah, Jack,
    I’ve used O2 while doing trail work, and I’m still on my first jacket. If you ever poke a hole in it, it glues nicely.

The other thing about O2 is that it breathes really well. Can you believe it’s made by a toilet paper company?

john Tier
    Spectator

@peter_pan

Locale: Co-Owner Jacks 'R' Better, LLC, VA

Yeah…this stuff sure keeps my A$$ dry….Should have guessed… :-)

I do field repairs with small pieces of duct tape…works great, some repairs are going into the third year now…

Jack

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools