Topic

Removal of Komperdell C3 pole baskets

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Removal of Komperdell C3 pole baskets

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Steven Evans
    BPL Member

@steve_evans

Locale: Canada

Looking for some help here. I have a pair of the Komperdell C3 Duolock Trekking poles. I removed my baskets last year with great difficulty and some damage to the pole/baskets. My buddy just picked the same pair up and wants to remove the baskets in exchange for bigger snow baskets. Anyone have some advice in getting these off "easily". Or is it time for vise grips and pliers again?

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

Email Komperdell and see what they say. In taking my BD baskets off, I put a forefoot on either side of the basket and force downward. Baskets should come off relatively easily.

Brian James

@bjamesd

Locale: South Coast of BC

Mine came off with great struggle and quantities of profane speech. My sister's don't come off at all: you just progressively damage the pole. (Have tried all manner of tools.)

Combine that with the fact that the "locking" mechanism becomes useless after a few dozen uses, and these poles are a bit of a dud.

Dave .
    BPL Member

@ramapo

Steven, I just got a pair of these for Christmas. They don't come off easily, but removing the baskets doesn't require any tools. You just need to twist the basket until it's lined up properly to slide off. You should be able to see the interlocking slot and nubby thing if your poles are the same as mine.

On another note, I'd read good things about these poles, so I sure hope that the locking mechanism works okay!

Steven Evans
    BPL Member

@steve_evans

"On another note, I'd read good things about these poles, so I sure hope that the locking mechanism works okay!"

Not to worry David. My experience has been much different then Brians. I've had these poles for well over a year and have abused them like no other. If the locking mechanism stops working, take the pole apart and clean them. Should be good as new!

As for lining up the slots. I can't even twist the ones on my buddies. The locking feature is too deep? I have used screw drivers and even tried with two peeple. Just seems I am going to wreck them pretty badly(like I did to mine) if I use more tools!

I'll send an e-mail to komperdell.
    Thanks!

Brian James

@bjamesd

Locale: South Coast of BC

My locking thingies were rough surfaces when I got them to provide appropriate friction. Now they're totally smooth and shiny and can't grip anything. I rough them up with a file which helps for awhile, but by the end of the weekend they're usually slip-sliding under my weight.

I wonder if I did something wrong? Maybe dirt or water got into the mechanism, creating the polishing effect? Has anyone else had this experience?

Steven Evans
    BPL Member

@steve_evans

Hey Brian,
    I thought I had problems with mine aswell, then Mr. Johnson set me straight and told me to just take the sections apart and clean them. That seems to do the trick. Haven't had any other problems with them and I have really beat them up for over a year. Your issue seems to be different though…I think. Maybe you should contact them (or whoever you purchased them from) and let them know the problem. They offered to replace my wrist strap when it started fraying on me – just haven't gotten' around to it yet.
    I think there are some pretty informative threads about these poles here aswell. Might be worth a search?

Michael Davis

@mad777

Locale: South Florida

I'll also chime in that I've had nothing but good luck with Komperdell's locking mechanism. I've had my C3's since they first came out but, I always take the poles apart to clean and adjust after every trip!

Yes, the baskets are ornery, they have to be twisted to line up the little nubs on the pole with the slots in the baskets. Soaking the ends of the poles in soapy water first helps a lot.

James D Buch
    BPL Member

@rocketman

Locale: Midwest

I just went through this.

I found that Komperdell has specific clear instructions on their website. However, on the list of videos that they have for doing things with the poles, they have mixed up the ones for tip changing and basket changing.e

Here is the one for basket changing. It works, and it is simple.

http://www.komperdell.com/images/pdf_fqa_en/15.pdf

You heat the basket. This makes it soft and it is then easy to bend it enough to get it loose and clear the retaining pins, and turn it to unlock it.

You can use either a heat gun or hot water.

I did the hot water and it came off easily without burning my hands.

My baskets were marked C3, if that means anything.

Nobody that sells these links to the actual directions, they just tell you to twist and it comes off easily. We need a prize for instructions by those that have never used the instructions they post.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools