Topic

Tilley LT5 vs. LTM5

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Tilley LT5 vs. LTM5

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    David Lewis
    BPL Member

@davidlewis

Locale: Nova Scotia, Canada

After trying a number of different hat solutions… caps at first… then a cap with a cape… I think the best solution would be a Tilley. I liked my light colored cap with cape (biminey cap?) but with any kind of cap, I get really hot as there is no ventilation above my head. I often find myself taking my cap off to cool off… leaving my head unprotected. I also found the cape (that covers the neck/ears) kind of hot and annoying since it’s right against your skin… and it covers your ears too which kind of interfers with hearing a bit. So I’m gonna try a Tilley.

One question… LT5 (grommet hole vents) or LTM5 (mesh vent). I just noticed that the LTM5 is not listed very often in gear lists. The vast majority use the LT5. Is there any reason for that or is the LTM5 just a newer model? I would think that the LTM5 would vent better. And as for rain, I don’t see much getting thru the mesh… rain can still get in thru grommets too… and besides… I’d use my hooded rain shell in heavy rain anyway. Thoughts?

Mike Storesund

@mikes-1

I have the Tilley LT5 and the Tilley TH5. During the summer I tend to perspire from the head quite a bit and the headband from both are quite absorbant. Enough so that you can literally ‘ring out’ the head bands, as you can actually see the absorbed moisture drip from hat brim.
    The LT5 is 2 oz. lighter than the TH5 and its material is more resistant to outside moisture. The TH5 offers a wider brim (the 2 extra oz.) and made from hemp, which I find more breathable. I do not think the brass grommets offer all that much ventilation, so I prefer the TH5. If you like mesh better, I am sure that will work well and offer yet more ventilation.
    Regardless of which hat you choose, Tilley makes a fine product that I would recommend to anyone.

David Lewis
    BPL Member

@davidlewis

Thanks Mike.

I was also looking at Watership hats today. They are even lighter than the Tilley hats… and have a bigger (floppy actually) brim. But the top is not stiffened at all… so it kind just falls down on top of our head. The Tilley is clearly a better hat. Still… those watership hats are REALLY light. Anyway, I think I’m going to go with the LTM5… basically the same as the LT5 but with mesh venting all the way around instead of the 4 grommets.

Duane Hall
    BPL Member

@pkh

Locale: Nova Scotia

Yeah, I would go with the mesh version if I was buying another. I have the LT5 and it has provided excellent service, but I’m sure the mesh would be cooler.

Alex Orgren

@big_load

Does the mesh keep bugs out?

I wear a T4 and won’t change until it’s destroyed. However, I can’t imagine how that would happen.

Tony Burnett
    Spectator

@tlbj6142

Locale: OH--IO

I personally think the M hats look a bit too “Grandpa” for me. I own a LT6 as I wanted the wider brim. I love it. I wear it almost everywhere. Though mostly to the pool and for “around town” outdoor activities (ball games, parks, fairs, etc.).

Carol Corbridge
    Spectator

@ccorbridge

Locale: Southern Oregon

Here’s my $0.02. I wear a Sunday Afternoon Adventure hat. Keeps me cool due to excellent venting, scoops water to dump on my head, wads up in my pack, is ultra light (2.6 oz), covers my neck when needed, or folds up to stay off my pack. I didn’t like the look at first, but just used it because it was so darn functional. But, I’ve grown to really like it. I have no connection with this company, just my personal opinions. Take a look at something a little different.

http://www.sundayafternoons.com/index.cgi?id=66468014236&c=Men’s_Hats

paul johnson

@pj

Locale: LazyBoy in my Den - miss the forest

Can anybody recommend a good online retailer for purchasing a Tilley hat? One the sells the model/style used by Dr. J and others would be appreciated. Many thansk, pj

Mike Storesund

@mikes-1

Paul – I have gone to Tilley direct at
    http://www.tilley.com/
    Each time I have received via ups within 3 days of the order.

David Lewis
    BPL Member

@davidlewis

Tony: Well… you know… I hate to say it but ALL Tilleys looks little too “grandpa” to me… and I’m a looong way from being a grandpa!! But I plan to use it exclusively for the trail, so I’m not concerned about looks… just function. I see your point tho’… the mesh does lend that added dash of “grandpa” :)

Carol: Thanks for the info. They look like good hats. I like the Sport Hat design and have seen similar hats at stores in town. I like the fact that it looks like a cap (what was I just saying about fashion? :P ) but it still has neck protection… like a cap with a cape but the cape is stiffened so it’s more like a brim. My only thing with that hat, and any of their hats as far as I can tell from the pictures, is that the top of the hat is floppy and head shaped. I like the Tilley design because the stiff, flat top gives you a good 1/2″ to 1″ air space above your head for ventilation. I find that caps get too hot because they sit right down on your head.

I saw these other hats in town by Watership which look very similar to those Sunday hats… nice design, big brims, but close fitting and/or floppy on top.

paul johnson

@pj

Thanks Mike. Take care, pj

Bill Fornshell
    BPL Member

@bfornshell

Locale: Southern Texas

I use the LT6 as a rain hat with my very light weight hoodless poncho/tarp. The brim is bigger on the LT6 than on the LT5. The weight of my LT6 is 3.27oz. I removed the piece of plastic from the top part of the hat.

This chart compares the different Tilley Hats by fabric, brim size & weight.

Comparing Tilly Hats

paul johnson

@pj

Thanks Bill. Sure helps to make sense of all of the various styles. Take care, pj

Anonymous

Serious question. For those of us who still have hair, does the top part of a Tilley Hat do anything useful in sunshine. If not, would the brim alone be lighter and better ventilated?

In rain, one could wear a shower cap to keep the head dry,with the brim to provide protection for the face and neck.

Alex Orgren

@big_load

It keeps out the bugs! Many insects are attracted to the highest part of an animal. A good hat is usually enough to keep me from escalating to chemical protection. I just don’t like using bug repellent.

Douglas Frick
    BPL Member

@otter

Locale: Wyoming

>Here’s my $0.02. I wear a Sunday Afternoon Adventure hat.

Me too; I refer to it as my “ugly hat,” but it’s the one I always grab. A later post questions whether it would be too hot because it sits right on the head. I wear this hat in Hawaii, where hiking is hot and steamy, in preference to all others. I just tighten up the headband a bit (easily and securely adjustable) so that it stays up a bit higher. On a sunny day in Montana’s Bridgers, with a cool breeze, I had to switch to a baseball cap-style hat because my head was losing too much heat through the Sunday Afternoons Adventure. I also quit bothering with sunscreen on my face and neck, since this hat covers nicely. I highly recommend it.

Haven’t tried a Tilley, though, so I can’t compare.

David Lewis
    BPL Member

@davidlewis

I was looking at Tilleys today and the sales guy said that the rep was in the other day and told him about a new hat Tilley has coming out next spring/summer… same classic Tilley shape but all mesh. I don’t know if the brim is mesh or not. He said it was very different and quite a “weird” design. Sounds intersting. I thought… maybe this is like Tilley’s take on the simple old summer straw hat.

Which got me thinking… why not just get myself a simple straw hat?!?! My main concern is that my hat be VERY COOL with air space above my head, good ventilation and sun protection. A cheap (and super lightweight) straw hat does all of those things… without the “grandpa” look referred to above… LOL (actually… I really like the look of the Tilleys). Just add a chin strap with a cord lock… and you’re done.

I’ve looked at the Sunday Afternoon hats too. I know someone posted that they are very cool… even in Hawaii… and that was great feedback to get… but I think some people just sweat more than others :) If I’m wearing a close fitting (no air space above) wicking ball cap style hat… even on an overcast day with temps around 70 degrees… I’m sweating. Maybe it’s the humidity out east. I live next to the Atlantic and 90% humidity is very common.

Carol Corbridge
    Spectator

@ccorbridge

Locale: Southern Oregon

I tried a straw hat one trip. Kind of a cowboy hat style. It was light. But, the back brim hit my pack unless I bent it up and it did not wade up into my pack very well when it rained and I needed to switch to waterproof head wear.

David Lewis
    BPL Member

@davidlewis

Good points Carol… esp. packability. I bought some Holey Soles Clogs recently thinking they’d be great for camp/water shoes as they are a full shoe with toe protection for under 5 oz… but the were impossible to pack!!! So on trips where I know there will be a beach or whatever… I’m back to flip flops.

As for hitting the back of the pack… depending on the trip, that may not be an issue since for many of us our packs don’t go above out shoulders. I think that’s one of the greatest joys of lightweight BTW… having your head completely free to look way up into the sky. Most people have a foot of pack (or more) behind their head.

Anyway, I may try a straw hat. It’s not like it will cost anything if it doesn’t work out. Unlike a Tilley which is very expensive.

Joshua Mitchell

@jdmitch

Locale: Kansas

I believe if you happen to pick up a skymall catalog the next time you fly (I’ll try to pick one up next week), someone makes a packable straw hat.

cat morris

@catt

Locale: Alaska

Carol, I tried a dozen caps & hats over the years until I bought a Nordic Gear
    supplex nylon South Fork hat. It has mesh, chin strap, is light, crushes to nothing in a pack, is cool, keeps the rain off my glasses, although in heavy rain I pull my gortex hood over it. I have even put a thin wool cap under it so it will still keep the rain off my glasses.

http://www.shotgunreport.com/Reviews/Shade/Shade.html

David C. Menges
    Spectator

@davidmenges

Another vote for Sunday Afternoons. I have a big head (size 8?) so finding ANY hat a treat, and the SA has room to spare.

I know Tilley makes large sizes, but I couldn’t find a store in Denver with any selection, and REI carries the SA. It takes guts to wear, but as Carol? said, no sun block needed.

Mark Verber
    BPL Member

@verber

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

I have used a pantropic panama straw hat for a number of years. It worked reasonable well until I wore it out. It did not bounce back very well after getting soaked in a couple of rain storms.

I have also used the Sunday Afternoon Adveture Sport Hat. I found that it was cooler than the straw hat (better ventilation) and had a very effective brim.

–mark

Sunny Waller
    BPL Member

@dancer

Locale: Southeast USA

David..Tilley hats are great..once you get one you will find excuses to wear it. I have a T3 that I bought for boating but I also wear it hiking and driving in my jeep when the top is down. The wide brim keeps sun and rain out of your face and you do not get a bad case of hathair when you wear it. I also own Watership hats but do not wear them in the wind or the rain because the brim is not stiff enough.

Douglas Frick
    BPL Member

@otter

Locale: Wyoming

>Another vote for Sunday Afternoons. I have a big head (size 8?) so finding ANY hat a treat, and the SA has room to spare.

“Room to spare” is right; the Large size is big enough to fit over my Petzl Ecrin Roc helmet. I look dorky in a helmet anyway, so the Sunday Afternoons hat doesn’t look too much worse and the big brim gives nice shade. The mesh on the side lines up with the vent holes, too.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools