Topic

Capilene 1 or 2 ?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Capilene 1 or 2 ?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

What is the difference between patagonia's caplinene 1 en 2 ? Is there realy a difference or is it smart marketing so they can sell more baselayers? I know the capilene 1 has a smoother fabric, what should i choose for allround purpose ( hiking, running)?

Joshua Mitchell

@jdmitch

Locale: Kansas

Essentially thickness (aka warmth)… Pat's got more than enough data on it on their website…

Performance Baselayers

Capilene Polyester Baselayer

Pamela Wyant

@riverrunner

Capilene 1 is very silky & thin.

Capilene 2 is thin, but non-silky. It has a light weave. I like Cap 1 for bottom layer insulation for sleeping in the summer or for hiking in the winter. I like Cap 2 tops for the same, as they feel slightly warmer.

C'mon, you're in the gear forum here – you know you need both… :^)

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi Rene,
    For highly active pursuits, you shouldn't need anything heavier that Cap-1. I snowshoe with Cap-1 underneath windproof pants and have never felt cold well down into the 20's(Farenheit, ~-5 Celsius). When you rest, be prepared to throw on an insulating layer(fleece, Polarguard, down, etc). I have also tried Cap-2 and found it to be overkill, i.e. I start getting moisture buildup in the Cap-2. I also used to run in Cap-2 with no outer layer and was never cold through ~ the same temperature range.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Thanks for the info Tom! and Pamela maybe you're right and i should get both!

Brian Lewis

@brianle

Locale: Pacific NW

I have no experience with Cap 2, but I love using a long-sleeved white cap 1 shirt as a baselayer pretty much all the time, including on fairly hot days in the summer. Cap 1 is light enough that you can get some evaporative cooling right through it, and I don't feel the need to put sunscreen on my arms.

R K
    Spectator

@oiboyroi

Locale: South West US

So I'm a little late in responding to this thread but I thought it might be useful for others with the same question.

Both base layers are good all-rounders with maybe a slight nod towards Cap 2 IMHO.

Cap 1 is silky smooth and pretty comfortable in warmer temps. It has a slightly more dense weave (knit?) than Cap 2 which makes slightly less air permeable. It has trimmer fit than Cap 2. The Gladiodor seems to work better in Cap 1. It doesn't eliminate odor but if you wear it and then throw it in the hamper for a day the smell is significantly reduced.

Cap 2 is more like a very fine mesh and breaths better than Cap 1. The Patagonia website says it's the fastest drying and I would agree although its a close call. Cap 2 seems less durable than Cap 1 but I've not had problems with either one.

Here's some pictures to help clarify the differences

Cap 1 up close
    Cap 1 up close
    Cap 2 up close
    Cap 2 up close
    Cap 1 in front of a reading lamp
    Cap 1 in front of  a reading lamp
    Cap 2 in front of the lamp
    Cap 2 in front of the lamp

Hope this helps,

Cheers

P.S. As far as fit goes the Cap 1 I wear a large because the medium is just a little tight in the pits. For the Cap 2 the medium is just right

Anonymous
    Inactive

Thanks Roy! Good information on capilene 1 and 2. I am going to buy a short sleeve capilene 1 and a long sleeve caplinene 2, and test them both.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools