Topic

New Zealand suggestions

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Hiking Partners / Group Trips New Zealand suggestions

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Chris K
    BPL Member

@cmkannen-2-2

Hi, I will be in New Zealand for the last two weeks of April and wondering if anyone could give me suggestions on where to go or your favorite walks, including the Great Walks. I will be based out of Christchurch, but would not rule out a compelling North Island itinerary.

Thanks!

Christine Thuermer

@chgeth

Locale: Germany

I suggest buying the Lonely Planet guidebook "Tramping in New Zealand". It will give you a good overview and detailled information on how to get to trailheads.

Some years ago I spent 6 weeks hiking in NZ and I loved all the hikes – you can't go wrong in NZ. April might be a bit late/cold for hiking there.

Have fun,
    Christine

Ryan Teale
    BPL Member

@monstertruck-2

Locale: Almost Yosemite

I just spent two months in New Zealand in Feb-Mar '07. The best book we have available in the states is definitely The Lonelely Planet Tramping in NZ. You really can't go wrong in NZ but I would stick to the South Island. I did some walking in Mount Cook, The Routeburn, Milford Track, and Dusky Track. The Great Walks are expensive and may already be booked up and stay away from them if you want to avoid the crowd. Fiordland tracks tend to spend a lot of time in the forest which is an incredible experience but some people only want the views. When I go back I will head for Mt. Aspiring National Park for the Cascade Saddle Route. There are also some great walks in the Wilkin-Youngs Valley area and I hear Kahurangi National Park is great as well. Once you are there I recommend checking out two books by Craig Potton publishing called "Classic Walks of NZ" and "Classic Tramping in NZ". They are two of the most beautiful books I have seen on backpacking anywhere.

Matt Brodhead

@mattbrodhead

Locale: Michigan

You'll need more than 2 weeks. Check out picasaweb.google.com/mattbrodhead for trip ideas

Also, I would disagree with the above posters about the recommended books. What you'll want to do is go to iSites and talk to locals; they know the best trails/places to go to beat the crowds.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools