Topic

Route Planning Website

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    John Mowery

@mow

Locale: Minnesota, USA

Does anyone know of a good website that will map and then measure the actual hiking distance (not straight line) of a potential route?

Tim Heckel
    Spectator

@thinair

Locale: 6237' - Manitou Springs

We were introduced to Trimble Outdoors through some work we did for Backpacker Magazine. I can't highly recommend their tool, but I do use it when I don't have the National Geographic Topo state map for a trip.
    http://www.trimbleoutdoors.com

Rick Dreher
    BPL Member

@halfturbo

Locale: Northernish California

The more popular consumer map packages such as NG Topo! and Delorme Topo do this. You trace a path atop the base map and it will calculate trip distance and create an elevation profile. Routes can be broken into legs for more detail, daily distances, etc.

Drop in waypoints and you can organize them into a route you can upload to most GPS receivers.

John Mowery

@mow

Locale: Minnesota, USA

Thanks Guys. Much appreciated.

Dave T

@davet

charlie babbage

@babbage

Expertgps.com
    I have been using this for a year of more. Initial cost was about 60.00, but I got the entire US. It works very well for me.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools