Topic

Skurka looking for expedition ideas

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Hiking Partners / Group Trips Skurka looking for expedition ideas

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 101 through 107 (of 107 total)
  • Author
    Ryan Gardner
    Spectator

@splproductions

Andy,

There are a lot of ways that you have made an impact that you'll never know. For instance, helping a 23 year old kid in Utah dream – and not be "ashamed" of having that dream and trying to go for it. I'll probably never end up hiking thousands of miles or going on any ground-breaking adventure, but it's what you stand for – being passionate about what you love and living what you preach. Keep it up.

Andrew Skurka
    BPL Member

@askurka

I appreciate that Ryan, really. Glad I could help.

I'll keep it at and you too, okay?

I wish everyone would live as you said: "being passionate about what you love and living what you preach." We'd have a much happier world.

George Matthews
    BPL Member

@gmatthews

One of my sons and I backpacked in Yosemite last year. On Project Gutenberg, I read John Muir's The Yosemite:

When I set out on the long excursion that finally led to California I wandered afoot and alone, from Indiana to the Gulf of Mexico, with a plant-press on my back, holding a generally southward course, like the birds when they are going from summer to winter. From the west coast of Florida I crossed the gulf to Cuba, enjoyed the rich tropical flora
    there for a few months, intending to go thence to the north end of South America, make my way through the woods to the headwaters of the Amazon, and float down that grand river to the ocean. But I was unable to find a ship bound for South America–fortunately perhaps, for I had incredibly
    little money for so long a trip and had not yet fully recovered from a fever caught in the Florida swamps. Therefore I decided to visit California for a year or two to see its wonderful flora and the famous Yosemite Valley. All the world was before me and every day was a holiday, so it did not seem important to which one of the world's
    wildernesses I first should wander.

http://www.gutenberg.org/dirs/etext04/yosem10.txt

Was thinking about how adventurers can inspire us for a long time especially if their adventure's details are shared with us.

The change in the world since Muir's travels is staggering; however, our need for inspiration from adventurers remains a constant.

I forgot the original point I was going to make, but I began this post today after my other son reminded me that I would tell him and his brother "to enjoy your journey – you'll get where you are going before you know it". He said he's just beginning to understand my advice. I told him that I too was only beginning to understand it myself.

Adam Kilpatrick
    BPL Member

@oysters

Locale: South Australia

"All the world was before me and every day was a holiday, so it did not seem important to which one of the world's
    wildernesses I first should wander."

George…maybe that is the point you were trying to make? Probably an important thing for Andy and all of us to realise (it certainly seems important for me).

Andrew Skurka
    BPL Member

@askurka

Tangent subject…If anyone is looking for a copy of Muir's Yosemite, I would recommend getting the large format version in which photographer Galen Rowell couples his images with Muir's text. The combination makes for a superb read.

Carol Crooker
    BPL Member

@cmcrooker

Locale: Desert Southwest, USA

Hi Andy,
    I didn't read all the posts, but saw a few on kids. I just read the book about Peace Pilgrim. She walked across the US for 30 years (about 1953 – 1981) giving talks about peace wherever she was invited to. She was ultra- ultra light carrying almost nothing but a toothbrush. Not even a coat or food. She was much more of an urban walker of course. But a walk across the US through wilderness areas to places where you had talks or workshops set up for kids could be inspiring.

bobby c

@bobbycartwright

Locale: i don't need no stinkin badges!

Andrew, you should consider hiking the length of the Foothills Trail in SC. Just google that and you should find some info easily. It's an 80 mile one way trail along the Blue Ridge escarpment in NW SC. Connects 4 awesome state parks and has some of the most interesting plant life and scenery in the world, sort of an elevated rain forest feel. The trail is in awesome shape, very well kept up and access to the Foothills Trail is fairly easy. Asheville, NC and Greenville, SC both have fairly large airports, and Charlotte is just a few hours away also. The trails are pretty challenging and have some insanely steep climbs that will make you thank lil baby Jesus for your UL kit. You could also tie in with other trails at the state parks and easily make the distance exceed 100 miles. Give it a look please, it's an awesome place.

Viewing 7 posts - 101 through 107 (of 107 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools