Topic

Firesteel and spy capsule

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Firesteel and spy capsule

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I ran across an idea similar to this on another outdoor forum and cooked up my own version. I took a 2.5" spy capsule and epoxied a generic ferrocerium rod to it. As shown it used a hacksaw blade section for a scraper, but I have used a Victorinox Classic knife for survival lanyard kits. The capsule is stuffed full of Tinder Quick tabs for a waterproof back-up fire starting kit. I have since cut the rod off even with the end of the capsule. Under an ounce!

Spy capsule and firesteel

Spy capsule and firesteel

Ron D
    BPL Member

@dillonr

Locale: Colorado

That's a great idea, where did you get the spy capsule?
    Thanks…Ron

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

You can get small capsules in the keychain area at REI for about $3 each. EDC Depot has the one shown and some larger ones too. (https://edcdepot.com/merchantmanager/product_info.php?cPath=4&products_id=168&mmsid=49cf07bfab535780e975cab7ca79aa0a)

Spy capsules are a great way to carry tinder, matches, spare medications, etc. They make whistles with a small capsule as well. The fat ones can hold a nice selection of "MacGuyver gear" like wire, Spectra line, fish hooks and split shot, button compass, matches, sewing kit, scalpel blades, water treatment tablets, super glue– stuff to keep you alive and make repairs to your gear.

Ron D
    BPL Member

@dillonr

Locale: Colorado

Thanks Dale, I've never noticed them at REI before. I guess I need to pay more attention.
    Ron

Jeremy Cleaveland
    BPL Member

@jeremy11

Locale: Exploring San Juan talus

wenger classic firesteel mod

I took the nail file on my Wenger Esquire and ground down the edge with some waves to it, for a good striker for the firesteel, so I don't have to carry the stock striker, or dull my knife blade. the nail file is rarely used anyway, and is still usable as a nail file. now I don't have to carry the little orange handle for the firesteel, the cord, or the striker.

Nice idea with the spy capsule, and thanks for the inspiration.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools