Topic

just getting started with fishing

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Off Piste Fishing & Tenkara just getting started with fishing

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Colleen Clemens

@tarbubble

Locale: dirtville, CA

just picked up a lovely old Fenwick rod at a garage sale – 7 feet long and it weighs 4.75 ounces. the reel that came with it is pretty heavy, tho. what are my choices for lightweight reels? looking to mostly fish streams & high-country lakes in the Sierra Nevada. thanks for all guidance.

Frank Perkins

@fperkins

Locale: North East
    Mike W
    BPL Member

@skopeo

Locale: British Columbia

Steve .

@pappekak

Locale: Tralfamadore

What I use is a cheapo Daiwa Minispin outfit. You can buy at Cabela's or BassPro for under $40. The unit is pretty lightweight: rod + reel + 100 yd 4# test + swivel around 8 oz. The reel itself is 5.1 oz. Below is a picture of my setup with a rod case I made from a a florescent tube holder ($2) I found at Home Depot. As Mike mentioned 4 lb line is good. I have tried several (including Vanish fluorocarbon) and have settled on Sufix Elite. It is a good, strong, inexpensive line ($7 for 330 yards).

Setup

The nice thing with this setup, aside from it being inexpensive, is that you can also use it with a fly & bobber technique – i.e. using flies with a casting bobber if you want to try your hand at it.

The equipment is strong enough to bring in large fish. The largest I have landed was a 23", 6.5 lb rainbow.

For lures I primary use either a

Mepps Agila (1/8 oz)
    Mepps

or a Kastmaster spoon (1/8 oz; gold)
    Kastmaster

Here my most recent catch (12/04/2007) with the setup: 14" and 19" bows.
    FatTrout

Colleen Clemens

@tarbubble

Locale: dirtville, CA

confession time – i have no idea if the rod i picked up is a fly rod or what. i picked it up at a garage sale because it was in lovely condition, weighed 4.75 ounces (said so on the pole and i weighed it to verify), came in the original aluminum tube, and cost $5. Merry Christmas! it's a Fenwick FS70-4 and it breaks down into four sections. i don't *think* it's a fly rod, because from my limited exposure to fly fishing i believe the reels look quite different from the reel that came with it.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools