Topic

Any other sleeping techniques?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Philosophy & Technique Any other sleeping techniques?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    George Cook

@latch

Locale: North Texas

Hello there.

I'm hoping that someone can help me with a question that I have.

Quick background:
    I'm going to Guadalupe Mountains National Park over New Years. One person in our group has been backpacking for a long time and has been to Guadalupe Mountains before. The weather forecast is supposed to be in the low to mid 30s at night and 50's in the day. The guy who has been before mentioned that he is going to get a 0 degree bag because he thinks his 15 degree bag isn't going to work for him. I have a 40 degree North Face Propel sleeping bag, plan to wear layers (long thermal base, medium Smart Wool socks, Mountain Hardware Monkey Man fleece, fleece hat) and will be inside a ID Salathe bivy. I slept in the bag in my room (windows down etc.) at 33 degrees in the room and felt very warm. From searching the forums I have found that I could get a silk bag liner and or wear my clothing in my bag.

Statement and Question:
    I know that it gets colder with elevation and that people have various tolerances to cold but is that large of a variance necessary (low 30s temp and needing a 0 degree bag)? I realize this is a very subjective question. Am I missing something? Any thoughts or other techniques that I can use to make myself warmer in my 40 degree bag (if necessary)?

Thanks,

Todd

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

On the NPS site for the Guads, the forecast in the next few days is lows in the 20s. That is around 5,000 ft. You could be camping at a higher elevation with lower temps. A 40 degree bag won't kill you, but you will probably be very uncomfortable with little sleep (been there, done that). I would not do it, but instead take at least a 20 degree bag.

If you still were going to do it,
    1. more insulation on your torso/head/feet
    2. full length sleeping pad
    3. hot water bottle inside sleeping bag (risky)
    4. hand/feet warmers
    5. bivy sac (~10 degrees more warmth)
    6. liner (~5 degrees more warmth)

http://www.nps.gov/gumo/planyourvisit/things2know.htm

George Cook

@latch

Ok. Thanks for your reply. I was wondering if I should just go ahead and get a 20 degree bag – guess I will. Thanks again.

-Todd

JASON CUZZETTO
    BPL Member

@cuzzettj

Locale: NorCal - South Bay

Good thinking. At this time of year you are going to save weight over layers unless you have them really thought out ahead of time.

George Cook

@latch

Bought a 15 degree Marmot Helium sleeping bag. I should be set. I think I'm going to really like this bag. Thanks for your help on this one.

-Todd

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools