Topic

2008 Golite Sleeping Bags

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) 2008 Golite Sleeping Bags

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 42 total)
  • Author
    David Ure

@familyguy

Nm

aaron eshelman
    BPL Member

@djaaronreed

Locale: Central Rockies

In the site the listed weight for the Ultra 20 degree Quilt is 1 pound 13 ounces!

I think this must be a misprint as I have seen the quilt first hand. It didn't "feel" like it was that heavy, and the attached retail information had the weight listed as 19 ounces total. BPL confirmed this lower weight as well during the Outdoor show. Hopefully Backcountry.com isn't correct as this is/was going to be my next purchase!

Steve O

@hechoendetroit

Locale: South Kak

It's listed as 1 lb 3 oz now.

Joshua Knapp

@joshjknapp

Locale: Northern Mn, Superior Hiking Trail

I just ordered my Golite ultra 20 quilt. I'll confirm the weight when I get it next week!

Josh

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

Wonder if the ultra was orginally named the Venture, since Skurkas website mentions a venture quilt at the same weight.

Justin Ling

@ling_jd

Locale: columbus ohio

is it just me, or do these things not loft for crap?! it says on the tag that it's supposed to loft to 5", but it doesn't come anywhere close. it doesn't loft nearly as high as either of my 30 degree bags. Is anyone else having this experience?

Chris Wood

@crwood

Locale: Eagle River, Alaska

I ordered and received a 2008 Golite Adrenaline 20 from Backcountry. It was mismarked at 249.00 instead of $325 plus got the 20% off of that. Thought I got a good deal. NOT! 3 of the longitudnal baffles on the chest are only half-filled, and the circumfurential baffle just below the zipper is only 1/2 filled as well.

Backcountry said they will either refund me in full, or replace when they get new inventory in stock. I would like to keep the bag, it seems like solid construction, perfect for my needs, but like Justin said, underfilled. They also said they would reimburse me if I had a someone local fill the baffles and fix the deficiency! The customer service response (Backcountry's) almost makes up for the deficient product in the first place.

Anyone else?

Sincerely,

Chris

Tommy Clapp

@tcxjwagoneer

Locale: GSM Area

I ordered an Ultra from Backcountrygear.com after calling them and confirming that they were not backordered the emailed me and said they were back ordered. golite has them instock on their own site now so I may cancel and order. I was wanting to have it for an MLK trip.

Tommy

Kirk Beiser

@kab21

Locale: Pic: Gun Lake, BWCA

Justin said – 'is it just me, or do these things not loft for crap?! it says on the tag that it's supposed to loft to 5", but it doesn't come anywhere close. it doesn't loft nearly as high as either of my 30 degree bags. Is anyone else having this experience?'

I'll await your gear review on this. 20F bag for 19oz sounds too good to be true.

Being able to save 6oz and gain 10F would be worth buying yet another sleeping bag. Current bag is a Montbell SS #3 rated at 32F and 25 oz.

Aaron Sorensen
    BPL Member

@awsorensen

Locale: South of Forester Pass

I don't know why Golite would claim 5" of loft.

I made a 2 lb quilt to get down to 0* and it only has 4.75" of loft.
    I am pretty sure I can get it down to 0* too.

So who out there that has one can tell us what the loft of the bag is???

Tommy Clapp

@tcxjwagoneer

As said before I bet Golite is staying consistent and listing it with sleeping bag loft info. that puts it at 2.5 or so for a 20*. I have the golite feather and it lofts to about 5" and it is 20*. I think to market to more than the UL crowd they call it a sleeping bag as well as list it with the same data. I know when I first read about UL and using quilts I laughed because it seemed rediculous. but now I have 2 and I have an ULtra on order.

Tommy

Ryan Faulkner
    Spectator

@ryanf

Just a quick question…

does the Ultra have hang loops on the foot box? one thing I think my nunatak ghost is missing.

Kyle Rosenberger

@kyler55

Locale: Greater Yellowstone

No hang loops

Joshua Knapp

@joshjknapp

I have received my Ultra 20 and have had the chance to use it on two different nights. I wrote a review last week under reader reviews about my experience. Let me just use this opportunity to clarify a few things about the Ultra 20.

Weight with 5.5"x10.5" stuff sack=19.75 oz
    Maximum loft measured when laid out on the floor=3.5"
    Average loft is about 2.5"
    And Yes this quilt does have a hang loop on the footbox

I have used it down to 31.3 degrees with only caprilene 2 top and bottoms, my pad was a GG nightlight with a GG 1/4 pad. I slept on packed snow.
    I was super warm and now have no doubts that this quilt will live up to its 20 degree rating.

Please let me know if I can help out with any other questions!

Tommy Clapp

@tcxjwagoneer

that is good to hear. I am waiting on mine. suppose to come in this week. I am wanting it for a trip over the long weekend.

Tommy

John G
    BPL Member

@johng10

Locale: Mid-Atlantic via Upstate NY

Josh, can you answer the following questions about your review of the quilt ?

1. Did you sleep primarily on your back or your side ?

2. Are you generally a restless or non-moving sleeper ?

3. Did you wrap the edges of the quilt under you, or just let the quilt lay over you ?

4. Did using the straps make it hard to turn over if you were sleeping on your side ?

5. Did your 3 season tent have a mesh area at the bottom that allowed the light breeze you encountered to blow on you ?

Thanks.

John G
    BPL Member

@johng10

Locale: Mid-Atlantic via Upstate NY

Josh – Just saw the answers to my questions you had already added to the bottom of your review.

Thanks !

Joshua Knapp

@joshjknapp

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

The BPL reader reviews area should be different. On the review of this bag, two guys give it a 5 while asking questions in an area meant for an honest review. That sucks.

Siegmund Beimfohr
    BPL Member

@sigbeimfohr

I agree that reader reviews are deteriorating. It seems that recently there have been more reviews that amount to nothing but superficial comments and, even worse, just questions to earlier reviewers that more properly belong in a gear thread.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Hi ALL

> two guys give it a 5 while asking questions in an area meant for an honest review.
    Thanks for bringing this to our attention. As soon as we get some access issues sorted out these will be deleted.

Everyone:
    Please email me at [email protected] if you see any inappropriate postings. Include the URL to the posting!
    It is now my role to examine these and to take whatever action is needed.

Cheers
    Roger Caffin
    Online Community Manager
    (as well as Senior Editor for Technology)

Tommy Clapp

@tcxjwagoneer

my golite Ultra is due in tomorrow via ups. I wanted to post about Jon at Backcountrygear.com

I called before placing my order and someone told me they were instock for a regular. after placing my order i recieved an email that it was back ordered. I was frustrated but stayed with the order. Jon who then emailed me kept me up to date with arrival emails and communication. He then also made arrangements to get it to me by my trip over the long weekend coming up. I really suggest BCG/Jon if you are looking to order the Ultra 20. top notch customer service.

Tommy

Tommy Clapp

@tcxjwagoneer

I recieved mine today and the loft on it is not what I expected. I layed the ultra 20 out next to my JRB No sniveller and the no sniveller has atleast .5"-1" better loft than the Ultra. I have not slept outside with it yet, but I am feeling like right now I have wasted my money on this quilt compaired to my JRB quilts. I don't see a way that it would be warm @20*. it weighs in at 19.6oz the No Sniveller weighs in at 18.8 with the golite stuff sack.

Tommy

Nia Schmald
    BPL Member

@nschmald

Hi Tommy,

I'd love to see a photo of the No Sniveller and Ultra side by side.

Thanks,
    nia

Tommy Clapp

@tcxjwagoneer

pic1
    pic2
    pics3
    pic4

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 42 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools