Topic

Kinsman w/ hood

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Kinsman w/ hood

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Stuart Burke

@burkest

Locale: Collegiate Peaks Wilderness

I just got done making a kinsman with a hood. I used climashield XP 2.5oz, taffeta momentum for the liner, and ripstop momentum for the shell. I unfortunatly do not own a scale so I do not know how much the jacket weighs. I am hoping that it is around 10oz because that is what I calculated the weight to be based on the amount of material used. I started with the hood pattern provided by Jan in this thread. I made a test hood using that pattern and then modified it to fit my head and the neck circumference of the kinsman. Even though there are visible mistakes on the jacket I am happy with how it turned out. I now have a garment that is the same weight (theoretically) as cocoon hoody but is warmer (based on the clo/oz value of climasheid XP) and it only cost me $70.

kinsman

Here is the hoody

hood

Here is a close up of the hood

Christopher Plesko

@pivvay

Locale: Rocky Mountains

Awesome!

Sam Haraldson
    BPL Member

@sharalds

Locale: Gallatin Range

Stuart –

Looks like a righteous build to me. You MUST replace those GIANT cordlocks with something smaller though. Teehee.

Nice work,
    Sam

Stuart Burke

@burkest

Sam,

In my defense those are the cordlocks that came with the kit. Seriously though thanks for the complements. One thing I forgot to mention: I designed the hood to be form fitting like an icebreaker hoody and I am happy with it but my wife thinks I look like a french knight from monty python's holy grail.

Ryan P. Murphy
    BPL Member

@rmurphy

Locale: Virginia

Nice job Stuart, it looks beautiful. If Santa is kind to me this year I'll be making pretty much this same piece in the next few weeks although I intend to make the hood (small) helmet compatible. Any advice you can offer for fitting the hood to the kinsman neckline would be appreciated.

Stuart Burke

@burkest

Ryan,

The kinsman comes with two neckline options "athletic" and "relaxed". I used the relaxed neckline for my hoody based on the advice of AYCE from thru-hiker.com. The pattern tells you the length of the neckline so when I chose the relaxed neckline I adjusted my hood patern to the same circumference and it fit perfectly.

Frank Perkins

@fperkins

Locale: North East

First of all, great job on your Hoody. I'm always impressed by the MYOG projects on BPL and this is yet another example of making a quality piece of gear, at a low price.

I'm interesting in understanding if this is really lighter than the Cocoon 60. The Cocoon 60 claims to be the "best warmth-to-weight ratio of any insulating garment available". Based upon the stats of the Cocoon, I can't believe it can get much lighter than it already it is… so if if the Kinsman is lighter, than by how much?

Adam Rothermich
    BPL Member

@aroth87

Locale: Missouri Ozarks

Very cool! I made just a stock Kinsman last year (got the kit for Chirstmas) and love it. The only thing I find myself wishing for from time to time is some kind of pocket. Your hood looks great though!

Adam

PS. Mine is a Large and weighs somewhere in the neighborhood of 11-12 oz, but I used 1.1 oz DWR and 1.8 oz Primaloft.

Sam Haraldson
    BPL Member

@sharalds

Locale: Gallatin Range

> but my wife thinks I look like a french knight from monty python's holy grail.

Stuart – That's all the more reason to be proud of your accomplishment! Now you have reason to taunt all the other backpackers you encounter.

– Sam

Frank Perkins

@fperkins

Locale: North East

Found some info to help compare:

Kinsman Pullover

The standard kit includes a warm 1.8 oz layer of Primaloft Sport (.4" loft; clo: 1.8*.74=1.33)

Cocoon UL 60

# Weight: 10 oz (283 g) in size Large
    # Shell Fabric: Pertex Quantum Mini-Ripstop (1.0 oz./sq. yd.)
    # Lining Fabric: Pertex Quantum Taffeta (1.0 oz./sq. yd.)
    # Insulation: Polarguard Delta (68g/sq. m)

To compare apples to apples we need the Cocoon 68g/sq. me insulation equivalent. Is 2.5oz Climatashield XP the equivalent?

Jan Rezac
    BPL Member

@zkoumal

Locale: Prague, CZ

Good job! Very nice piece of gear, I'm really curious what is the real weight of it…

Also, I must comment a bit on the hood (as the author of the balaclava pattern you used for hood). The pattern was not best suited to serve as a hood on a jacket. Firstly, is very wide at the bottom, because it was designed to be pulled over your head. With the front zipper, you can use tighter neckline. (I'm sure you made some modifications.) Secondly, there is some additional material on top of it, so that it closes around my mouth when it is cinched by the drawcord. It might be advantage for sleeping in the jacket, closing at eyes level would be more comfortable for other uses. Both will make a hood more fashionable.

P.S. To make the French knight look perfect, you should make another color version: gray momentum for arms, white for torso and sew a cross (red momentum, of course) in front and back. And you can clap some coconut shells when walking…

Stuart Burke

@burkest

Frank,

This is how I made my calculations to compare the Kinsman I made with cocoon hoody. To calculate the weight of my kinsman I assumed that I would use 2 square yards of fabric(that is 2 square yard of liner fabric, 2 square yard of insulation, and 2 square yard of shell fabric). I made this assumption because AYCE mention on a thread at thru-hiker that the large kinsman uses 2 square yards of fabric. I made a medium kinsman and I assumed that a medium kinsman with a hood use the same amount of material as a large kinsman. Based on amount of fabric and insulation used my kinsman should weigh 9.2 oz. This is just an estimate not including the weight of the notions used. So I will be happy if the total weight is around 10 oz.

The cocoon hoody uses 68g/square meter polarguard delta which is the equivalent of 2.02oz/square yard. The clo/oz value of polarguard delta is .68clo/oz (I got this value from the forums here so it could be wrong but I am inclined to believe it is right). This gives the insulation used in the cocoon hoody a total clo of 1.37. The 2.5oz climashield I used has a .84clo/oz value. This gives the insulation in my kinsman a total clo of 2.10. So theoretically my kinman is warmer than a cocoon hoody for approximatly the same weight. I am not going to say that it is definativly warmer becuase I have never seen or used a cocoon garment.

Jan,

I agree that your balaclava pattern unmodified would be a poor pattern for a hood for a jacket. I used your pattern as a starting point for my pattern. I decresed the size of the hood and made the piece over the top of the hood continue all the way to the neckline. I also increased the size of the face opening. Here is a picture of the hood pattern I usedhood pattern

charlie babbage

@babbage

Well, I can never post pictures of anything I've sewn again. That just looks too perfect. Very excellent work.

Stuart Burke

@burkest

I finally got around to weighing my hoody. It came in at 10.1 oz or 287.7 g. I am happy with the weight because it is about what I though it would weigh. I have gotten a chance to use on a few day trips and have been very impressed with the warmth. I hope to get a lot more use out of it over the coming months.

Jon Rhoderick
    BPL Member

@hotrhoddudeguy

Locale: New England

If anyone is interested the calculation ratio, about 33-34 g per meter turns into 1 oz per yard. Theres probably some engineer who would give you a closer number but thats more than enough for me, so usually manufacturers will use these numbers basicly

oz/yd=g/m
    1.8=60
    3=100
    4=133
    5=180
    6=200

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools