Topic

Winter Backpacking in the Southern US

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Hiking Partners / Group Trips Winter Backpacking in the Southern US

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    the avrock

@theavrock

Hey guys! So me and a few friends are looking to do a last minute trip here before we all have to go back to school for the spring semester.

We live in Wisconsin and want to head somewhere down south where it will be a little bit warmer than up here. We are looking for somewhere that has a little bit more elevation than what we are used to in Wi. We have time for about a four day trip in late January and we have two guys who are fairly inexperienced so 60 miles max over those four days would be as much as I would want to do.

I was initially looking at somewhere in North Georgia or maybe Alabama, Tennessee, South Carolina?? I'm not really sure because I rarely get to get down South.

Please let me know if you guys have any suggestion. I would really appreciate it!

Cheers.

bobby c

@bobbycartwright

Locale: i don't need no stinkin badges!

there are some great trails in nc and sc.

in sc, there's the foothills trail, foothillstrail.org, which is spectacular. one of my favorite places on earth. the trail goes through several parks, crosses in and out of nc and sc and has ample water, views, campsites, well maintaned and well marked trails, etc… awesome place.

in nc, not far from the foothills trail area is pisgah national forest which is home to the world famous art loeb trail. you can google that and find a bunch of info on the art loeb. nat'l geographic makes a map of the pisgah ranger district, with all of the art loeb and other spur trails noted. great place, really crowded on weekends whereas i've been on the foothills and have probably only seen people in 1 out of every 3 days most times. very good state parks in sc in the general area of the foothills trail. can't go wrong either way but my money would be on the foothills.

Steve O

@hechoendetroit

Locale: South Kak

I'll be moving to SC when I graduate in May, so I just wanted to say thanks Bobby. I'm happy to learn anything about the area. I'll be visiting Columbia, SC in Feb, so maybe I'll check the Foothills out then. Have you read the guidebook that is sold on foothills.org? If so, is it a worthwhile purchase?

bobby c

@bobbycartwright

Locale: i don't need no stinkin badges!

yes, the foothills book is definetly worth the purchase. most of the descriptions are very accurate even though my copy is peppered with my own interpretations, usually done at the end of a long day where i seriously questioned some of their "moderate" ratings. but the book is invaluable as a tool for enjoying the foothills.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools