Topic

Protecting your bag from compression?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Philosophy & Technique Protecting your bag from compression?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    R K
    Spectator

@oiboyroi

Locale: South West US

What techniques do you use to keep your sleeping bag from being overly compressed?

I keep my quilt (an arc alpinist) at the bottom of my pack for the simple reason that it isn’t really needed throughout the day and it raises the rest of my stuff a little higher so it carries better.

Now my heaviest item, especially at the beginning of a trip, is my bear can which carried vertically in my Vapor Trail which rest directly on top of my quilt. At the end of the day when I pull my quilt out it’s much more compressed where the bear can was resting. That seems like it could be damaging to the insulation.

I’ve considered getting a stuff sack like the POE Pneumo LTW Dry Sack that’s airtight and would resist compression if slightly inflated. It would also be multi-use for on trail laundry. Any merit to this idea?

Your thoughts and suggestions are appreciated.

Chad Ellertson

@northernlights

Locale: Superior Hiking Trail

Usually I use the extension collar on my pack. All the things I need for a day (poncho, water treatment and water, lunch) are on the outside pockets of my backpack. So I don't pack past my extension collar and put my sleeping bag in the top of my pack.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools