Topic

Looking for a warm softshell

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Looking for a warm softshell

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Jeff Jeff
    BPL Member

@jeffjeff

I am looking for a softshell for around town use. I would like something that is warm, so something heavy weight by softshell standards. It should be highly wind resistant. Water resistance isn't all that important one way or another. I don't care about breathability. Stretch is nice but not necessary. I had an Arcteryx Gamma SV / AR made from Polartec Powershield and I liked it a lot. They no longer make them.

Robb Watts
    BPL Member

@rwatts

Locale: Western PA

Rab Baltoro Alpine. Check STP, I got one for right around $90. Heavy but toasty. Would make a nice fire coat (if someone else would carry it for you). Like all Rab, size up unless you're a skinny youngster.

Owen McMurrey
    Spectator

@owenm

Locale: SE US

Check out the Patagonia Adze hoody, though I wonder if it hasn't been discontinued. All I'm seeing is the hybrid on their site, now.

Arne L.
    BPL Member

@arnel

Locale: Europe

#ERROR!

Paul S.
    BPL Member

@pschontz

Locale: PNW

Costco has cheap soft shells meant for casual use.

Sam Riggle
    Spectator

@samriggle

Locale: South East

Another one to check out. Outdoor Research Lodestar jacket. Power Shield Pro backed by mid loft, hairy, grid fleece for the hood, shoulders, tops of arms. Body is normal stretch woven backed by a higher loft, hairy grid fleece. It's pretty warm, and looks pretty nice for around town. I can feel wind through the body when it hits ~20mph.

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest
    Eric K
    BPL Member

@gwudude

I picked up a really nice Rab soft shell jacket from Sierra Trading Post. It's currently pre-special discount selling for $89 and is the Rab Baltoro soft shell jacket. Another one that looks interesting that I just noticed is the Rab Raptor soft shell for $74.89. And lastly, while not a soft shell jacket, looks like it might be worth just to purchase for the sake of buying it as it seems a good deal is the Rab Nexus Polartec Neoshell jacket for just $171.89. Just my two cents worth. Eric

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Locale: Way up North

Just ordered the same jacket Eric.

Eric K
    BPL Member

@gwudude

Yeah, that Neoshell jacket from Rab looks good. And Neoshell does indeed seem to allow me to be more comfortable than GoreTex. And Rab is actually one of the few non-US brands that fits me in Large too. I'm going to order the Nexus in the kiwi green so I can stand out a mile away. Eric

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

It was the Baltoro I ordered Eric, not sure if it will make it in to my outdoor setup but will definitley see use for around town. I have the Rab Myriad Neoshell jacket and really like it, I used it s bit last year's for snow shoeing and cross country skiing paired up with a Go Lite Neoshell bib.

Eric K
    BPL Member

@gwudude

Stephen, You will really like the Baltoro. It's a really good soft shell jacket to wear and the cuffs have a rubber part attached to the velcro which enables you to cinch it down really nicely. It's a good weight I think for cold active days as well. I have it in the blue and really really like it. You will want to take into the mountains with you for sure! Eric

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

That's great to know Eric. Snow forecast here for the weekend so may try ot out cross country skiing.

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

Dead bird gamma mx …. Its the old pre-2008 SV (not the one thats furry like a beah) For the challengin urban trails and to deal with the strenuous dog walking only dead bird will do Not to mention that all your peers will be most impressed around that gas lit bbq … Ummm campfire on yr porch on summer nights No joke, the money that you spend on something you proudly wear everyday is better than saving a few smackaroos on a brand which hides in ur closet in shame ;)

Paul Magnanti
    BPL Member

@paulmags

Locale: Colorado Plateau

I personally don't like softshells for outdoor use. I tried it..works OK…there are better options IMO for what I do. YMMV. However, since this is an urban environment you are looking for, I find that is exactly where I use softshells. For Colorado, where the precip is *usually* not a torrential downpour (though, this spring was very crazy), the softshell is wonderful. It is my go-to jacket for most cool-coldish conditions. Call it low60s to mid40s or so with a sweater. Any light precip goes off, blocks the wind and being, all black, fits in most anywhere being it the office, after work, or at the brewpub. Since I am not looking for high performance breathability (something merely to keep out the wind, keep me warm and does not look too much like I am off to scale the latest mountains), I find the simple Costco one mentioned earlier to work quite well. It is thicker and has a fleece-like lining. Suspect it fits your criteria for warmth. Basic black. Looks good. Not expensive. Durable enough for daily use. Looks good with jeans or the "nice pair of pants" that Mom always said to have for certain activities. :) I could buy a "better" softshell, but I am not too interested in impressing the people at the brewpub…

John H
    BPL Member

@hogie

Bot the Rab Baltoro from the STP site for $58.43 today. You must sign up for their annoying emails to receive preferred deals.

Ito Jakuchu
    BPL Member

@jakuchu

Locale: Japan
    Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Eric\John,

Got the Baltoro, it’s very nice indeed.

Kris
    BPL Member

@causidicus

“I personally don’t like softshells for outdoor use. I tried it..works OK…there are better options IMO for what I do. YMMV. However, since this is an urban environment you are looking for, I find that is exactly where I use softshells. ”

This is my experience also.  If the weather is bad enough to require a shell, it is bad enough to require a hardshell.  If a hardshell isn’t needed, then no shell is needed.  Softshells are good for garrison use.

I’ve noted that PCU Level 4 (the windshirt) seems to be popular with forum posters here.  We could find no use for it.  We got the initial PCU issue as part of pre-deployment activities for an Afghanistan rotation.  I don’t think anyone even brought Level 4 with them on the deployment.  And I think Natick has cut Level 4 completely out of the SOF-PCU.

But if there is civilian use of the PCU system, then Level 3A might be of interest to the OP.  It is surprisingly warm for its weight.  I don’t think it’s as warm as Level 3 + Level 5 (which together is what 3A replaces) but 3A weighs much less than 3 + 5 together.  It’s a great jacket for town use.

Richard Fischel
    BPL Member

@ricko

for an around-town softshell, look for a black diamond “post-op” jacket. they have been discontinued, but a couple of retailers still have them for sale.

CLICK HERE

the jacket is made with magic shoeller fabric that’s lined with merino wool. the jacket wears like pajamas and feels great over a tee shirt.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools