Topic

Warmth chart for fleece types?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Warmth chart for fleece types?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    chris smead
    BPL Member

@hamsterfish

Locale: San Jose, CA

Sorry… I knows there's been many threads on finding the perfect fleece… I'm looking for a chart…perhaps with CLO ratings comparing the different fleece types. Anyone know if this exists? My specific question is which insulates better under a shell: Powerdry HE, power stretch, or classic 100. I know the furry high loft stuff is warmer for the weight….but I have an 8oz weight budget I'm trying to stay under. This is a supplemental layer between my base and puffy, and also insurance for wet weather. (I've had puffy jackets turn to soggy mush in heavy rain even under a shell).

Richard May
    BPL Member

@richardm

Locale: Nature Deficit Disorder

There are a few that might fit. Here's the ones I know: A New Paradigm for Understanding Garment Warmth http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=18950&disable_pagination=1 The best clothing combinations for backpacking or hiking? http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/xdpy/forum_thread/9378/index.html

Richard Nisley
    BPL Member

@richard295

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area
    chris smead
    BPL Member

@hamsterfish

Perfect thanks guys…not sure why the heck I couldn't find those. (I never said I was smart). The charts are a bit tricky to read, but if I'm reading these right, it looks like power stretch is the way to go for warmth. What's the lightest power stretch hoody out there? And sorry if that's been asked before….

chris smead
    BPL Member

@hamsterfish

By chance does anyone know how Melanzana's micro grid stacks up against the others in the chart? Seems very similar to power dry HE….but a little more wind resistant and a little fuzzier. Trying to see if it's worth the extra 2 oz compared to my Mec T3. The Power stretch stuff I've seen so far is a little heavier than I hoped…

Serge Giachetti
    Spectator

@sgiachetti

Locale: Boulder, CO

@christopher haglofs has an excellent powerstretch hoodie at 11oz, called the triton pro hood. The fit and features are perfect IMO, balaclava style hood, thumb loops, long sleeves with good articulation and a slim cut. The L fits me perfectly at 6'2 175. It is fairly thin though, and i wouldn't be surprised if my 100 weight fleece is a little warmer. One thing that nisley's charts lack is that there are different weights of powerstretch with different warmth, so I don't think its necessarily a clear winner on warmth. However, I think the excellent wicking and slight windblocking of the fabric might make it a more functional layering option as a mid than pure fleece.

Jeff McWilliams
    BPL Member

@jjmcwill

Locale: Midwest

Go figure. I'm confused by his statement that Power Stretch has the highest thermal efficiency of any baselayer he tested. Based on the chart, he gives the Patagonia R1 the highest Iclo/Oz for a base layer, and that's Power Grid, not Power Stretch, correct? Edit: Never mind. I didn't see the REI PowerStretch fleece higher up in the list.

Simon Kenton
    BPL Member

@simonbutler

Hey MK – how come the above links don’t direct to their respective pages anymore? Thanks!

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

because this thread is before the big BPL update that happened( switch to WordPress )

Paul S.
    BPL Member

@pschontz

Locale: PNW

The topic IDs are still correct but the URL changes so you can copy/paste the topic ID into a new URL and it works.

https://backpackinglight.com/forums/topic/101420/#post-2185131

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools