Topic

Tater Tuesday: Creamy Broccoli Alfredo Taters

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Food, Hydration, and Nutrition Tater Tuesday: Creamy Broccoli Alfredo Taters

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

For Tater Tuesday's recipe this week it is Creamy Broccoli Alfredo Taters.

This is a variation of a previous recipe, and it is was for me very tasty! I am recovering from oral surgery and this is what I craved for lunch today. I used broccoli from Harmony House Foods and Simply Organics lovely Alfredo mix.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Creamy Broccoli Alfredo Taters:

In a quart freezer bag put:

3/4 cup instant mashed potatoes
    2 Tbsp instant milk powder
    2 Tbsp dried broccoli
    1 Tbsp shelf stable Parmesan cheese
    2-3 tsp Alfredo mix
    1/4 tsp diced dried garlic
    couple grinds of black pepper

Also take 1 Tbsp butter.

Add 1 1/2 cups boiling water and the butter. Stir well and put in a cozy for 5 minutes. Stir again and enjoy.

Serves 1.

JASON CUZZETTO
    BPL Member

@cuzzettj

Locale: NorCal - South Bay

I love your recipe. Do you actually keep a log of these???

I am not as detailed as you and will try to do better next time:

I use Bear Creek Broccoli Cheese Soup and add instant patatoes after the soup has simmered for about 5 minutes. I add pepper to my taste. I use a scale to measure out the correct amounts depending on how many of us there are for dinner. It really is good stuff.

I have been using Bear Creek Soups recently as I can get many meals out of an $6 or less bag of soup (they make 8 cups).

The down side can be I have to carry a Nalgene bottle, add boiling water to the mix and let it sit wrapped in a sleeping bag or jacket to keep it hot for up to 30 minutes to get some of the soups fully cooked. This is usually the case with the Chili. The directions usually suggest a 20 minute simmer time.

The upside is my kids are really enjoying these soups more and more and it is making it easier to take the 5, 8, 11 and 12 year olds camping and backpacking late this year without my usual 12-18 pounds turning into 30 because of food.

I love these food threads.

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

Jason, do you have a Big Lots store near you? The Bear Creek mixes seem to show up there quite often, often for dirt cheap.
    Btw if it is that there are larger chunks in the mixes taking longer to come back to life, you could run the dry mix through a blender to make the mix more uniform.

Joshua Mitchell

@jdmitch

Locale: Kansas

"I love your recipe. Do you actually keep a log of these???"

Jason,

Sarah keep a VAST log of these at her site, and also posts them to her Blog (which you can subscribe to with any RSS Reader). Sarah is also the author of a very excellent book (which I finally got off my duff and ordered).

PS – She also carries a number cozies and other helpful gadgets in her FBC Store

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools