Topic

Reasons why packs aren’t water repellent?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Reasons why packs aren’t water repellent?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 26 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    Sam Farrington
    BPL Member

@scfhome

Locale: Chocorua NH, USA

Re: "Take any well used pack and look inside the pack while holding it up the light. The bottom of the pack will have tons of holes in it from setting it down on the ground. You might not see the holes looking at it from the outside." Great suggestion, Justin. No pinholes, but a quarter inch slit in the bottom liner that must have come from something inside the pack, because the bottom is intact. Will patch the liner. It is 30D 'shield' silnylon from Thru-Hiker which is there just to insure against leakage. The bottom outer and the whole pack are white widow spectra gridstop from Seattle Fabrics sold around 2007, and still intact. That may be because the hourglass-shaped frame projects a little below the pack bottom, which angles upward, so when the pack is set down, much of the weight does not fall on the pack bottom. The bottom sleeve that holds the frame bottom in place is 6.5 oz diamond gridstop nylon from OWF or Quest, and has also held up well. When I switched from heavy packs to BPL, I found that a pack that is never over 25 lbs. total is much easier to set down softly, not to mention much easier to take off and put on at stops.

MW
    BPL Member

@mewe

I've been wondering this myself. Coming from cycling, were roll top Ortlieb panniers are, I'm finding it hard to fathom why backpacks aren't. Trash bags seem such a hack.

Viewing 2 posts - 26 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools