Topic

Kevlar Thread – any good?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Kevlar Thread – any good?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Brian UL

@maynard76

Locale: New England

Got a spool from here;

http://www.countycomm.com/KEVLAR.htm

So, it looks pretty ideal for MYOG projects. Is there any hidden drawbacks to kevlar thread? Anyone with any experience using this?

A Hewlett

@llew

Locale: oswestry, uk

http://www.countycomm.com/KEVLAR.htm does not buy/send outside
    usa.

Graham Williams

@crackers

well, how strong is your fabric?

If the fabric isn't as strong as the thread, you're kinda throwing money away or making your project weaker.

I don't think that kevlar thread is all that much lighter than a monocord polyester thread of an appropriate strength…

Brian UL

@maynard76

Locale: New England

I agree there is something funny about using Kevlar thread on lightweight fabric but, its not going to hurt right?
    And the price – even if its a little bit more than some polys is not "expensive" -so why not I say.

Mark Hurd
    BPL Member

@markhurd

Locale: Willamette Valley

Kevlar does not have much "give". The low stretch quality might cause a problem if used to sew higher stretch fabrics like nylon. The seam would fail due to the fabric tearing rather that the seam thread breaking. Torn fabric is much harder to repair than re-stitching a seam.

Just a thought.

-Mark

Ryan P. Murphy
    BPL Member

@rmurphy

Locale: Virginia

kevlar doesn't handle repeated flexing well (there's an article by tom moyer on high strength cord that mentions this as well as another source discussing kevlar thread that I can't find right now). I've read that kevlar thread is weakened even by the flexing that occurs in the sewing process but I've never used it so I can't say for sure. Kevlar thread is usually used for abrasion resistance (like on high wear areas of climbing gloves)

Jason Turner

@headchange4u

I bought some Kevlar thread from Ebay with the intention of making my own Kevlar food bag. The thread sucks. It frays very easily an creates a birds nest in my sewing machine. Waxing the thread may help but who has time for that. If it does tangle in my machine (and it will, believe me)it stops the machine cold. I could see it causing damage to a sewing machine. The thread works better when you are hand sewing, but most of my project are on a scale that hand sewing is not feasible.

The thread by itself is very strong but when you bend or knot the thread it breaks pretty easy.

I do still carry a small spool of the thread in my hiking gear because it's strong enough to be used for many things besides just gear repair.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools