Topic

Luxe poncho-tarp

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Luxe poncho-tarp

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

x completeMy sample of the redesigned Luxe X Rocket has just arrived. I am not myself into the poncho-tarp thing, but this one could sway the ones that want multifunction and a full protection.
    Since I helped with the various modifications take my opinion as being very biased
    This one weighs 39 oz, including pegs (x8) and sacs (x2), plus your trekking pole.
    It is 81" long, virtually all of that is usable as the foot area is vertical.
    The regular women size Thermarest is an inch away from the end and about 21" from the front.
    It could be 6 or 7 oz lighter in silnylon but it would be more expensive and it would need re-tensioning as the temperature drops.
    Note the fairly large vestibule, now accessible from the inside.
    My estimated retail price is around $140 US.
    ( Ask Luxe, I have nothing to do with them apart from suggesting some mods)
    Franco

x inner

x vestibule

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

I was way off with my estimated retail (based on the Australian price)
    At the moment it is out of stock,the next lot will be ready in February at $93 US including postage.
    Franco

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Hi Franco

Put some 3 mm whipper snipper cord in the rim of the hood: it will hold it out so much better.

cheers

Steven Evans
    BPL Member

@steve_evans

Locale: Canada

I think this shelter looks great. Under $100 bucks too. I have to admit though, I was hoping for a lighter weight. When is the cuben version available? ;)

Brian Kelly

@bkelly

Franco-
    What keeps the foot end of the tent vertical? In the vestibule pic, it looks like there is some sort of internal bracing at the foot end.

Roger-
    "Whipper Snipper", is that what us here in the States call a "Weed Whacker"? Interesting choice as a stiffener. I might have to try that.

Steven Evans
    BPL Member

@steve_evans

Locale: Canada

The tent has an "X-pole" built in to the foot of the tent.

http://www.luxeoutdoor.com/eng/catalog-topic-gallery-view1.asp?id=821&selfpath=/12/125

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Good idea Roger, I will try that today .
    ( The apex vent is the hood of the poncho of course, but your solution should work well with that too)
    As usual I leave a new shelter set up in my backyard for a week or so , to tinker with it…
    "Weed wacker", I must remember not to use that term here in Australia…but yes it is
    I am a little concerned that because of the angle of the fly (the poncho…) strong wind from the rear could build up enough pressure to lift it up. The apex vent is very large but I don't know if that is enough….
    ( I really need some kind individual to donate a wind tunnel. Boeing have one only a few hundred meters away from my house but they may not be too keen in letting me using it)

I fiddled with the rear support of the first version (not high enough for an uninterrupted air flow and too narrow) and after coming up with a few different solutions, Michael at Luxe combined them by using that X frame . The strange part of course is in that the shelter had already been named X Rocket…
    The X support is built in and it snaps into place as you set the inner up.

Franco
    (Edit
    I just noticed that the vent in the top picture happens to be almost fully extended simply because there was a breeze in that direction, normally it just flops against the fly because there is no support in it at all. There is a guyout point there but Roger's way makes more sense. I should have thought of that solution it is similar to the Tarptent version)

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

As it happens I do have some whipper snipper cord but it is the 2mm version. The first picture is the result. Then I tried to simulate a stiffer version by using some thin , (3-4mm),bamboo from my garden. That was enough to keep the 36" vent in tension.
    So the 3mm version should work well.
    Franco
    My cat prefers the cord over the bamboo2mm vent3mm vent

and the poncho bit (with grass killing cord in place and wearing the ULA Circuit)
    poncho and pack
    Out of the rain

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools