Topic

Newbie pack size and what to look for?

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
Matt Smith BPL Member
PostedNov 3, 2015 at 5:22 pm

Hi everyone, I have just moved to the Seattle area form NY and in the moving process gave away and sold a handful of gear. However, anxious to explore, I did a few 2-3 night trips with what I have. I used my travel pack, a kelty redwing 44, along with a 2 person tent considering it was all I have and managed to make it work. It weighed in At about 26 lbs with food for 3 days and 2 liters of water. Ok now to the main point…I'm in the market for a new pack and shelter. Most of the packs Ive come across are close to 60 liters. Because of my recent use of a 44 liter pack, weighing close to 4 lbs, I'm thinking high volume, although lighter, may be overkill. Since I'm starting semi fresh I want to make sure everything works together. My base weight without a pack is between 8-9 lbs. I am new to ultralight, but am sure that's the route im heading and most of my gear happens to already fall into the ultralight category. So what I'm asking is, iare the packs at higher volume too much for me? The pack I was originally considering was the ULA circuit, but am afraid that's too big. I'm not ready to go frameless and would like baby steps, which is what lead me to this choice. The ULA ohm sounds like it would suit me better, but the reviews and some other feedback has me thinking the circuit is better. Anyway Im open to plenty of Sugestions and other models as well. (Zpacks arc blast stood out, although don't know if I'm ready for that) Also I said I'm in the market for a shelter too. I've used tents and am not ready for just s tarp or tarp/bivey, but am very interested in a tarptent protrail. So my base weight without pack was using that as an estimated weight value of 26 oz. Also open to suggestions. My main gear as of now… Bag: feathered friends hummingbird ul 26 oz. Shelter: tarptent protrail. 26 oz. (didn't purchase yet) Pad: BA qcore SL 17oz (will probably upgrade this as well) Kitchen/cook : 8 oz Clothes(~2lbs) About me: I'm 6'1" 190lbs. Athletic build. 30 years old and likes to walk fast, not run. Usually 2 and 3 night trips, but want the option to do longer trips. Typically 3 seasons, but will push those boundaries to an extent. So as a semi newbie, would the ULA circuit, tarptent protrail, FF hummingbird, and probably a replaced sleeping pad complement each other? Sorry for the long, possibly hard to follow post. it's my first time posting and I'm excited! Matt

Matthew / BPL Moderator
PostedNov 3, 2015 at 9:30 pm

Matt, I'm definitely not an expert but I'm using gear somewhat like what are talking about and I'm also thinking about maybe taking the next step… My current setup is a Circuit with a Tarptent Notch, Hammockgear Burrow 20° quilt and a Neoair XLite pad. Previously I used a Contrail (the ProTrail's predecessor). It's a great setup but I have conflicting thoughts on the ProTrail and Notch: In my opinion, the Notch is infinitely better than the Contrail (which is very similar to the ProTrail). The Notch has a much better bathtub (the Contrail was prone to flopping over if anything touched it) and the side entries provide much better ingress/egress and gear storage. I think the Notch is less fiddly to set up as well. The Notch is more expensive but that only hurts a little. What I don't like about the Notch is it's extra length when packed. The Contrail packed much more easily (laying horizontally) in my Circuit but the Notch has to either stand upright or go on the exterior of the pack under the top compression strap. It carries comfortably under that top strap but I've already caught it on a fence and am paranoid about ripping my shelter. Carrying vertically in the interior throws off my whole packing system and made the center of gravity feel weird… I'm very happy with my Xlite. I'm 5'6" tall and the women's version is great at 66" long and it has a slightly higher R3.9 rating and an 11 ounce weight (according to spec, i haven't weighed it). When I last weighed my pack on an accurate scale I was at 14.5 pounds. Since then I have saved 13 ounces between a new cook kit and jacket. This has lead to me wondering if I should try a frameless pack or maybe an Arc Blast… I'm sorry for my long, rambling answer. In short, I think you are talking about a good kit but I think you should get a lighter pad and maybe consider the Notch. :)

Bob Shaver BPL Member
PostedNov 4, 2015 at 10:36 am

You can't go wrong with Tarptents. I have a Squall II and use it for solo hiking mostly. I have used REI Flash packs and like them. They are close to 2 lbs, depending on the size. Maybe 3 lbs for a big size, but they have a substantial waist belt and shoulder pads. My current one is 62 L, but my 50 L Golite pack is totally adequate for 2-4 day trips. Being now located in the PNW, you have tons of options for outdoor trips, but they all involve the possibility of rain, so plan on rain pants, gaitors, waterproof shoes, waterproof gloves, good raincoat, etc.

PostedNov 4, 2015 at 11:57 am

Consider the Osprey Talon 44 at 2 lbs, 6 oz, with adjustable torso height, good features, comfortable. I'm happy with mine. A nice benefit is that you should be able to find one locally so you can try before you buy.

Matt Smith BPL Member
PostedNov 4, 2015 at 12:23 pm

Thanks for the replies guys, Matthew, I was originally looking at the Notch considering its only 1 0z. more than the pro light. I was thinking the pro light would have been easier to setup, but its nice to hear that the notch may be even easier! Is the notch much more annoying in terms of packability? and I guess the real question regarding the Circuit is…do you think its too much to carry a base weight of 11lbs? it would be 11 lbs with the 41 oz circuit, so slightly under 9lbs prior. Bob Shaver, Thanks for reassuring that tarp tent is a good option! I'm almost certain thats what I'm going to order. is the polite pack you're referring to the "jam 50". specs on that look great, how comfortable is? i do have a few rain items…Marmot precip jacket, Zpack mittens. Probably should grab some pants, but never used them in the past. Bob, thanks for pointing out the Talon. I kept coming across the expo and didn't even look at too many of the other osprey packs. I may check that out since REI carries it.

Matthew / BPL Moderator
PostedNov 5, 2015 at 6:06 pm

Matt, The Notch is not *that* bad to pack. Its 16 X 3.5 inches, not huge by any means. The ProTrail would be a dream to pack at 12 x 4 (and no internal rods/poles). There's a tradeoff between packability and livability… I don't know how to answer it other than saying I really like my Notch but I wish it packed like a ProTrail. You ask if the Circuit is too much to pack a base weight of 11 pounds. How much water and food do you carry? I don't carry a lot of food (I never eat all of it if I bring 1.5 pounds/day) but I do frequently carry 3 or 3.5 liters of water here in Arizona. The weight adds up quickly…

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
Loading...