Topic

Stove heat and carbon tent pole

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Stove heat and carbon tent pole

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Derrick White
    BPL Member

@miku

Locale: Labrador

In the process of designing a cuben pyramid winter tent for use with a titanium stove and I am wondering about the distance the stove needs to be from the center pole. From earlier advice I received in this forum I am designing with object of being able to position the stove at least two feet from the side panels. In a pyramid, the sloped walls means that the stove must be pretty much at the center of the tent. This puts it very close to the center pole, which is presently carbon. What have other done to accommodate this. I assume an aluminum pole will be necessary. Any advice appreciated. Derrick

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Have you read Tim Clarke's recent articles on this? Cheers

Anonymous
    Inactive

In my tipi/stove set up, i've had the stove fairly close to the carbon fiber pole before and so far haven't had problems. I don't know if it would help or not, but maybe some aluminized tape on the part of the pole that will be closest to the stove?

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

if the pole doesn't feel hot to the touch, it's not a problem I have no idea how hot it has to get to risk damage

Terry Sparks
    Spectator

@firebug

Locale: Santa Barbara County Coast

As a retired fire fighter for 34 years and studying fire behavior, the risk of damage to your carbon fiber pole is minimal as long as you don't have direct flame impingement on the pole. To be safe, just keep the flame low before putting your pot on the burner and after that, whatever is in your pot will absorb most of the btu's.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I think the OP means a contained, wood stove with pipe (hot tent setup) rather than talking about a cook stove.

Taiga
    BPL Member

@taiga

I have a titanium wood stove I use in a tent and it's been very close to my carbon pole without any issues.

Niek van Griethuysen
    Spectator

@niekvg

Carbon fibre tubes will have a temperature resistance (Tg) of say 120C. Sinsce carbon tube is so light it will have the same temperature as the air surrounding it (as opposed to a temperature difference created by IR). So feel the air temperature around the stove and you will know how far away your pole has to be.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools