Topic

tipi’s

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) tipi’s

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    marjolein Keuning
    BPL Member

@laincha

Locale: netherlands

hi, can anyone tell me, and this is an open, not a sarcastic question, why seek outside , kifaru, ti goat tents are so expensive? i saw a – yes heavier- tipi on guide gear which is 200 dollar for a 6 p tipi? what is so special ? just the weight? no ground sheets, extra for liners and bugnets….

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

It weighs 14 lbs., 13 ozs. Tipi2 If you've got the guide and his pack string, it would be fine. Edit: $100, if you look around.

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Locale: Queen City, MT

Niche items, made to order or in small batches, by US sewers, of top quality materials, with a bunch of seams that have to be cut and sewn precisely.

J-L
    BPL Member

@johnnyh88

Sew one yourself and then you will understand. After making a pyramid tarp myself, I am surprised their prices are as low as they are

Anonymous
    Inactive

Yeah, and they are definitely more difficult to make than pyramid tents. Tipi's are good for use with stoves, and if set up right, can be pretty wind resistant. I have a Seek Outside Tipi/titanium stove combo for our possible economic collapse/emergency bag. The only thing i don't like about it, is how many stakes you need to set it up. We occasionally use it for more car camping type situations. I have a MLD cuben solo mid that i primarily use for myself backpacking. We were able to use it some this summer though during our trip to Victoria BC. It wasn't comfortable with both of us, but it technically covered all of us and our gear (i don't recommend this for most, except for smaller couples with UL, smaller packs/less gear and even though we're both under 5' 10", we had no room to spare).

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

The fabric itself can cost 10x more than the polyester used in those Gear Guide tents. It is also harder , more difficult, to work with so takes more time and skill to do. If the difference between 14 and 6 pounds is not important to you (car camping or using a sled, whatever..) then maybe it isn't worth paying 5 or 10 times more. However people here pay $300 to $500 more to save 1 or 2 pounds.

marjolein Keuning
    BPL Member

@laincha

Locale: netherlands

Thanks, understand the arguments. Love cottage industries and their personal contact, was interested in exact reasons. Also no sweat shops of course

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

Pride, intended profit margin, etc.

Ryan Smith
    BPL Member

@violentgreen

Locale: East TN

"Also no sweat shops of course" This is a big difference plus expected profit margin. Materials are more expensive, but there isn't a whole lot of fabric in the grand scheme of things. We demand a decent wage for our time. Let's say a pyramid takes (10) hours of labor at $20/hr vs $1/hr. There's an easy $200 difference. Ryan

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools