Topic

Running vest (insulation)

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Speed Hiking and Fastpacking Running vest (insulation)

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Andrew U
    Spectator

@anarkhos

Locale: Colorado, Wyoming

Does anyone have a good recommendation for a vest for cold weather running? Let's say 10 to 20 degrees Fahrenheit. Dry and windy conditions. I'll probably have to do some trial and error before I find what works for me but if anyone has a favorite piece I'd like to hear about it. A full jacket seems overkill, my arms usually stay pretty warm but the wind here in Wyoming really zaps warmth out of my torso. I'm fine in a light long sleeve shirt down to around 32 degrees with light wind. Thanks

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I would lean to a fleece and wind shell combo like Cap4, R1 and breathable wind shirt like an Arcterix Squamish, Westcomb Crest, older Houdini, etc. Patagonia made an R1 vest at one time (not to be confused with the current R1 wetsuit model). The Patagonia Nine Trails jacket and vest have very breathable back panels, but may be out of stock. I would think that a lightly insulated vest like a Patagonia Nano Puff would lack breathability and wicking.

Andrew U
    Spectator

@anarkhos

Locale: Colorado, Wyoming

I have quite a few synthetic tops of varied thickness depending on temperature that work, it's mostly wind hitting my upper body that is an issue. I need something that will keep me warm but not overheat too badly. I have and use an older Houdini for hiking but it kills me while running. I think any windshield no matter how breathable won't work for me unless it's gusting 25+ mph.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Sounds as though you want a shell top of UL breathable fabric. NOT a membrane fabric. There have been some interesting discussions about cheap Chinese jackets here at BPL recently: you could experiment with one of them maybe (for very few $$). Cheers

Ryan Smith
    BPL Member

@violentgreen

Locale: East TN

What about a vest made from windpro fleece? Will block most of the wind, but still has similar properties as normal fleece. Ryan

Ito Jakuchu
    BPL Member

@jakuchu

Locale: Japan

Agree with Dale (and other suggestions) about the principle. An R4 is quite warm for me already if I have a full well breathable windshirt over it when we talk about 10~20F and running (or breaking trail in knee to mid thigh snow). The principle still stands if you ask me though, fine tuning would depend on your body, and your activity and weather context. Recently I have switched a bit and like my new set up a bit better, depending on conditions. I find I sweat a bit less, and change garments a bit less. I take a thin net stockings like base layer that is body hugging and does great with keeping you warm when sweating heavy in cold weather. Somebody on BPL told me about this and it works really well for me. One brand is Craft from Scandinavia, I have a local Japanese brand that works well for me (Finetrack). Craft Finetrack Woodrush Power Mesh As a main layer I use a normal to slightly thick base layer or very thin Powerdry layer. Typically an OR Torque l/s (base layer) or Mammut Atacazo l/s (thinner than R4 grid fleece). Over that I put a very very thin softshell layer. This is basically a more breathable windshell, like a softshell, mostly made for cross country skiing and skinning up. I find I sweat less than before in this set up, and need to change less (windshirt on or off, etc.) than before. This is for my body and weather context and of course might not work, or need fine tuning for others. I might go with a similar set up but with the thin softshell vest if there was not so much wind here.

Ito Jakuchu
    BPL Member

@jakuchu

Also, one vest that I really like for running or high activity but slow moving snow play is Montbell Chameece vest. Thin and light, as light as a base layer. So you don't overheat as much. Under a breathable wind vest or shirt it works really well.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

for running, I also have a Chameece vest that I use when the temps dip, nice and light. I have an older R2 vest when the temps really drop. typically over a base layer (cold- R4 hoody) and under a windshirt much of my cold weather running is accomplished just w/ the Cap 4 hoody and windshirt, but sometimes I need a little more around my core- this is especially true on longer runs where you can actually feel your core temp drop a little

Theo Diekmann
    BPL Member

@theo321

The coldest temperature I ran in was about 15F. I did not wear a vest, but a Craft baselayer (seems like the 'active crewneck' or maybe 'active extreme crewneck' is the current equivalent of the one I have), plus a thin, short-sleeved Merino shirt, that provided a little extra insulation and sucked up the moisture (the craft stuff does a great job of keeping the next-to-skin layer dry). For my legs, I had a Craft boxer thingy plus a running tight. I combined that with Montane featherlite smock and pants for wind protection and a buff plus a thin merino hat (smartwool active beanie). Temperature regulation was done via the hat: Uncover the ears if it's too warm, or take it off entirely (e.g. on uphills). For long runs with potential stretches of walking (e.g. for route-finding), I planned to bring a Patagonia ultralight down vest as an insulation layer b/c it fits in my ~1L bum-bag. I never ended up bringing it, though. While in movement, the above-mentioned combination sans down vest was warm enough.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

typically it's below 15 degrees when I add a vest to the mix and usually just on my longer runs (two hours+) as that's when I noticeably start feeling my core headed downward my Cap 4 hoody and a wind shirt usually is sufficient down to 15-ish I use the same temp regulation "system", but also with my hand wear- I usually take my gloves off first, if that doesn't do it then I fold my beanie up over my ears, still warm hat comes off, still warm I start venting my windshirt and Cap 4

Theo Diekmann
    BPL Member

@theo321

Right, I totally forgot about gloves – I do it the same way.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

> also with my hand wear Yeah, fleece gloves are sometimes needed! I'll go for that. Cheers

S. Steele
    Spectator

@sbsteele

Locale: North Central New Jersey

You might consider including the hand and or feet air activated chemical heaters.
    There rated about 135 degrees F to about 145 degrees F and last max of about eight hrs., depending on size and manufacturer.
    I consider them an essential Winter support item for an emergency and survival.

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA

I would recommend just wearing a breathable windshirt. The houdini is not very breathable. I like my black diamond alpine start, I think it would be perfect for running (but its never cold enough here to run with an extra layer).

Ito Jakuchu
    BPL Member

@jakuchu

I have a hybrid vest from Marmot, with the thinnest Polartec Alpha on the front, and thin Powerdry in the back. Has a ½ zip on the front to ventilate and a small kangaroo pocket to warm your hands (which is the only thing I wish they left off, but then I do find my hands in there on occasion).

Nothing else. Weighs 154g in size Large. Or, 5.4 Oz, with the Large being close to a US Medium.

http://geared.jp/tsuchiya/2016/06/marmotpavest.html

edit –

Sorry, name is

Marmot Polartec Alpha Power Grid Vest

but I have only seen it on Marmot Japan, not sure it is also available in the rest of the world.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Cut the sleeves off a Patagucci Houdini, bought on sale.

Ito Jakuchu
    BPL Member

@jakuchu

I’m actually really in favour of what Tom is saying.

If you don’t actually totally go make it yourself, it can be very worth it – and easy – to alter existing gear. Especially if you already have it laying around of course.

I’ve done that to packs, fleece jacket turned into vests, shoes, etc.

Also, I hadn’t seen the temp of the OP. Though it is personal of course but around freezing I also don’t wear this Marmot Alpha vest I posted above (though I run very hot on the move – and very cold once stopped).

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools