Topic

Trying not to lose weight while backpacking

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Food, Hydration, and Nutrition Trying not to lose weight while backpacking

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Skyy E
    Spectator

@randomguyy

Locale: (null)

I'm 5'11" 150 pounds and trying to make sure I don't lose weight on 2-5 day trips averaging something like 10 miles a day. Will be cooking with a SnowPeak litemax canister stove. Just wanted to see how other people do it as I really don't want to become skinnier.

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Locale: Way up North

Eat like a pig.

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

A 5 pound loss can be made up very quickly once you are out of the woods. That said, 10 miles a day is not huge caloric load. If you take 2500 calories per day, you "might" lose some weight, but it will be far less than a pound a day. How do I do it? I read labels, use CalorieKing.com for homemade items, and make sure I get what I need, depending on time and distance per day. 400 calories in granola is easy. 600 calories in rice/beans/pasta for dinner is easy. A 200-300 calorie dessert a hour after dinner is easy. Fill in the day with tortillas, PB, bars, Snickers, chips, etc. for the rest. On-the-trail food is the hardest one to figure out, so take more than you think you need, then cut back on subsequent trips until you get it dialed. Weigh before you leave, weigh when you get back. Take notes on Every meal and food item. Adjust as needed. Repeat.

jscott
    BPL Member

@book

Locale: Northern California

Skyy, I feel your pain. I'm trying not to become more handsome while I'm backpacking–I mean, I already cause a sensation on the trail!–but it can't be helped. Luckily, my uber-dorky sunhat disguises me a little…

Skyy E
    Spectator

@randomguyy

All solid feedback. Will stick to calorie counting to ensure I don't disappear out there. Thanks!

Skyy E
    Spectator

@randomguyy

Lol perfect

John Vance
    BPL Member

@servingko

Locale: Intermountain West

And I purposely short myself on calories to drop a few pounds. Even at 1,800 cal per day for 10 days (145 miles of mostly off trail in the Winds) I only lost 6 lbs.

Valerie E
    Spectator

@wildtowner

Locale: Grand Canyon State

One word: cashews.

Cody Hallenbeck
    BPL Member

@cpach

Locale: Siskiyous and Sierras

2-5 days at 10 miles a day is pretty mellow. If you’re managing to feel reasonably fed and satisfied its really not at all worth worrying about–even if you plan your food pretty poorly I’m doubtful you could visibly change your bodyweight. 5’11 and 150lbs is not what I’d consider insanely light–I’m the same height, and for the short moment I was 150lbs I felt amazing. If you feel skinnier than you’d like what you probably want is more muscle development rather than focusing on your weight. Backpacking will help load your lower body some. Maybe take up rock climbing.

Calorie counting is one nice strategy. A strategy I learned by reading Andrew Skurka is to learn how to pack weight efficient foods, and simply weigh your food. If your food is of a relatively consistent average caloric density this can be a lot easier than actually counting the calories and is accurate enough in most cases. For example, 1.5 lbs/day at 125 calories/oz is about a 3000 calorie/day diet, which I know for me backpacking will result in good performance, a little hunger, and safe rate of weight loss (which for me is a benefit).

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools