Topic

Definitive Bushbuddy National Park List

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Definitive Bushbuddy National Park List

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Frank Perkins

@fperkins

Locale: North East

After researching about a 101 posts about the Bushbuddy and whether or not it can be used due to "open fire" regulations, I thought it would be a good idea to post the popular National parks in the US and if the Bushbuddy is allowed.

Here is the list of parks I came up with and we can add more parks. Can those of you that used or didn't use the Bushbuddy in these parks please reply and I'll update this post:

. Acadia
    + Adirondacks – Permitted with **
    . Baxter State Park
    . Denali
    . Everglades
    + Glacier National Park – Permitted with *
    – Grand Canyon – Prohibited
    . Grand Teton
    + Great Smoky Mountains – Permitted but not during drought conditions
    + Isle Royale National Park – Permitted
    + North Cascades National Park – Permitted with *
    + Olympic National Park – Permitted with *
    . Rainier
    . Redwood
    . Rocky Mountain National Park
    . Sequoia
    . Shenandoah
    . Yellowstone
    . Yosemite

* Dependent on camp site, zone and elevation restrictions.
    ** No campfires allowed in the Eastern High Peaks region, therefore no campfire stoves allowed. Permitted in the rest of the park where campfires are also allowed.

Sam Haraldson
    BPL Member

@sharalds

Locale: Gallatin Range

Glacier National Park*
    North Cascades National Park*
    Olympic National Park*

Dependent on camp site, zone and elevation restrictions.

Steve Parr
    BPL Member

@srparr

Locale: SE Michigan

Isle Royale National Park – wood stoves permitted

Ryan P. Murphy
    BPL Member

@rmurphy

Locale: Virginia

I'm curious as to the regulations in the adirondack park regarding wood stoves.Campfires aren't allowed in most of the more popular areas although I've never seen anything regarding wood stoves like the bushbuddy specifically. Generally campfires and wood burning stoves are considered the same.

Frank Perkins

@fperkins

I posted a question on the ADK forum. adk forum question

Frank Perkins

@fperkins

Was able to get some good info from the ADK Forum about using a bushbuddy in the Dacks. I'm still interested in it's usage in GSMNP though [my next hiking trip]

Tommy Clapp

@tcxjwagoneer

Locale: GSM Area

Great smoky mountains is a NO. I talked to a ranger 2 weekends ago when I was up that way with my custom wood stove and it was a no go. I use my ALC stove instead.

Tommy

Jonathan Duckett
    BPL Member

@thunderhead

Locale: Great Smoky Mountains

Smokies are in drought conditions so no fires are permitted right now. Maybe after some rain, the ban on wood burning stoves will be lifted.

John G
    BPL Member

@johng10

Locale: Mid-Atlantic via Upstate NY

I sent an email to Shenandoah National Park main desk asking about woodstoves like the Bushbuddy, Nimbelwill Nomad, Hobo can stoves, Sierra Zip and Coglan's portable fire bowl versus their "no fire" policy. Here's their reply:

From: [email protected] [mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of [email protected]
    Sent: Thursday, March 06, 2008 2:17 PM

Hello, The Sierra Zip is the only one that has been approved for use in SNP. The only approved sites for using the others, or building fires would be at any of our campgrounds where there are designated firegrates or at preconstructed fireplaces at backcountry huts and day-use shelters. Hope this info helps. Please refer to our web site for all info regarding backcountry camping and lots more info to make your trip as relaxing as possible.

Sharon Foster
    Information Desk
    Shenandoah National Park
    (540) 999-3500

Frank Perkins

@fperkins

Jeffs Eleven
    BPL Member

@woodenwizard

Locale: NePo

I just wanna bump this. 'Specially since Wiki went down…

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

I have a Caldera Cone Sidewinder with the Inferno woodburning insert (also a "gassifier" stove) and need to know where and when I can use it.

The Spring Mountains outside Las Vegas, wher I live, have a fire ban May through October but I only want to use my Sidewinder/Inferno stove in winter camping anyway.

I may carry heavy duty foil to make an edged "pan" to fit under my Sidewinder's ti base plate just to be doubly sure no embers escape.

Duff is the springy, dry forest floor that can hide a smoldering fire which can burn under the duff and pop up hundreds of yards away from the original source of ignition. We woodburners have to be extremely careful that duff "fires" aren't ignited near our stoves.

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Locale: Queen City, MT

You can use a self-contained wood burning stove anywhere in Glacier NP.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools