Topic

MLD “Shorty” quilt/poncho

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums SuperUltraLight (SUL) Backpacking Discussion MLD “Shorty” quilt/poncho

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    monkey
    Spectator

@monkeysee

Locale: Up a tree

Would you say this MLD shorty quilt/poncho is the lightest synthetic solution to use instead of a jacket for pottering around camp, and extra insulation for sleeping (though I would use it to cover the top of my body as an extra blanket)? Due to permanently wet conditions around here I don't want to use down, and out of all climashield apex jackets that I could find the MLD poncho appears to be the lightest at 9oz. It won't cover arms, but will function more like a poncho keeping the core warm. Would you say 2oz might be sufficient for temps not lower than 20, over a baselayer/fleecy midlayer/windshirt?

William Chilton
    BPL Member

@williamc3

Locale: Antakya

Not a direct answer about MLD but there's a 8.5oz climashield jacket here I don't know what shipping to the U.S. is like, though

Monte Masterson
    BPL Member

@septimius

Locale: Southern Indiana

I too have thought about an MLD M Quilt, but for another 3 oz you can get the full length Spirit Quilt. The Spirit 48 M weighs 12 oz. You can also get the poncho head slot option with the Spirit. For a synthetic jacket you might consider the Arcteryx Atom Light at 11.1 oz (medium). In cold temps I wear the Atom Light Vest (9.8 oz XL) with a merino long sleeve and a rain jacket. Sitting around camp I can also unzip my bag and wrap it around for extra warmth.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

someone here (stateside) should start making some decent jackets/vests out of Apex, found a couple jackets I liked but they are all out of the country; lots of advantages to Apex and obviously very well thought of in the quilt realm I like this one from Tilak, but they are in Eastern Europe with no distributors here  photo tilakketil_zps8aqnltry.jpeg

monkey
    Spectator

@monkeysee

Locale: Up a tree

William that Cumulus jackets looks really nice, I didn't know about them. I'm in Europe too, will have a look and think about it. Caesar yeah, I've been debating the same, just a bit weigh penalty and full size quilt but all those grams add up so quickly… I keep thinking whether I'll need a second full size quilt in addition to 20F one I have already, whether it's likely to be necessary in the temps that don't go much below freezing, but wet and windy so often feels worse than it is.

Ito Jakuchu
    BPL Member

@jakuchu

Locale: Japan

I would love to try those Cumulus jackets with the Apex inside. Especially the pullover at reduced price. link cumulus apex

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi Monkey, I don't really see the point of that piece for various reasons. While weight is a concern for me to some extent, flexibility and highly modifiable systems are even more important. Instead of having insulation under a non breathable fabric, why not have a separate piece, like a vest with very breathable material lining/outer so that if one needs to, it could be insulation also for activity at more extreme cold temps. (think something like Polartec Alpha). I made some vests with 2.5 oz Apex in between very breathable fabrics, and no insulation on the back, for that very purpose. They are quite light in the 2 to 3 oz range. I made it because i live in VA and like to go out during polar vortexes. Where i hike most often, there are often stretches where there's not a lot of elevation gain or loss. So when it's around 5 to 10 degrees F. for the high (or colder), i might bring the sub 3 oz front only insulated vest to help keep my core warm rather than a heavier fleece. Because the Apex is relatively thin, and the fabrics are very breathable, it dries significantly faster than say a commercial synthetic puffy piece. (it's akin to the Alpha concept). Since there is little to no back insulation (i've made different versions), helps to keep my back from sweating and obviously cuts down on the weight. I combine it with a hooded windjacket and a baselayer (either Cap 4 hoody or fishnet most often, sometimes a Rab MeCo or similar shirt). If you don't have a sewing machine or know how to sew, chances are you know someone that does, or have a local business that could do it for reasonable. It's a pretty easy project for someone that knows how to sew. If you are interested in the idea and can't find any of the above, i would consider making one for you for pretty reasonable–35 to 45 dollar range (but please seriously look around first, as i work a full time and part time job).

Anonymous
    Inactive

Earlier when i wrote the previous, i apparently didn't have my p.m. set up. I've set it up since so now i can receive p.m.'s.

Anonymous
    Inactive

A very big DUH on my part.  Earlier when i posted, i didn’t look at the link, and when i read “poncho”, i was thinking of rain gear aka non or low permeable fabric.

It makes a lot more sense now.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools