Topic

Jacket and quilt to increase warmth while sleeping.

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums SuperUltraLight (SUL) Backpacking Discussion Jacket and quilt to increase warmth while sleeping.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Sean Holland
    Spectator

@phourgenres

Trying to justify a borah gear down jacket on my hike. At 6oz it's really nothing, but I would prefer to add that weigh to extra down in my quilt. Although, sitting around camp I can't be in my sleeping bag all the time. Let's say I'm in 20d weather. I was thinking about a ff vireo ul, since it has less down in the upper torso, and I could utilize the jacket. Advantages: no zipper or snaps, so I don't have to worry about drafts. Disadvantages: have a down jacket inside of a down quilt might cause compression of the down. Zpacks: advantage: zipper. Disadvantage: small foot box. EE enigma: advantage: best baffling system. Disadvantage: longer than I need. I'm 5'8. Open backs. I move a fair share in my sleep, so I'm afraid the elastic straps won't hold.

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Locale: Way up North

Do you plan to use the jacket for around camp? If so you will freeze your ass with that jacket.

Monte Masterson
    BPL Member

@septimius

Locale: Southern Indiana

NM

Sean Holland
    Spectator

@phourgenres

Thanks for the mld ideas. I'll have tinker w them in my head. Even though it's a 6oz coat, that's 3oz of down. You don't think that's enough with a wool layer and wind proof layer at camp?

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Locale: Way up North

You would need something in the 5 oz range. For those temps I use a Montbell Mirage. Don't forget about your lower half either.

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA

"Disadvantages: have a down jacket inside of a down quilt might cause compression of the down." Depends on how big you are, how big the bag is, and how puffy the jacket is. An ultralight down jacket should have no problem. I am on the thinner side and I can fit a 5.3 oz fill weight baffled down jacket in my western mountaineering summerlite with enough room.

Turley
    BPL Member

@turley

Locale: So Cal

With the FF Vireo UL you shouldn't have to worry about down compression of a jacket as it is pretty wide through the shoulders/chest (64") and is made to be utilized with a jacket.

Buck Nelson
    BPL Member

@colter

Locale: Alaska

The way I like to go about it is to first bring enough jacket to keep me comfortable during breaks and in camp. Then, I pack enough sleeping bag so that during the coldest nights I will be warm wearing my jacket inside my sleeping bag. Usually sleeping bag/quilt insulation is single use. Jacket insulation is dual use. I tend to carry a warmer jacket than many ultralighters for that reason, and often a lighter bag.

Edward Jursek
    BPL Member

@nedjursekgmail-com

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Plenty of room in the Vireo for a down jacket. Like an earlier poster mentioned, they are cut for that. I have custom Vireo with 5oz of overfill in the top half that is a solid 20 degree bag. I originally got it for shoulder season use.  I also use it with a synthetic over-quilt for winter camping, where I wear a Nunatak Skaha Jacket to bed. Plenty of room, no down compression issues at all.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

I do the same thing. A down jacket is a dual use item.

1. Western Mountaineering overstuffed Megalite bag -> 20 F.
    2. Eddie bauer 1st Ascent light down jacket
    3. Cabala’s medium weight polyester long johns and heavy wool sleeping socks.
    4. light balaclava for nights below 25 F.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools