Topic

Lawson’s new Bar Tensioners

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Lawson’s new Bar Tensioners

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 26 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • Author
    Monte Masterson
    BPL Member

@septimius

Locale: Southern Indiana

Bar tensioners 2.8 gm Micro linelocks .7 gm z

Lawson Kline
    BPL Member

@mountainfitter

I didn't design these in a spread sheet or to be lighter than a clamcleat.. I designed them to work better, last longer, not be finicky, and not slip..

Dan Magdoff
    BPL Member

@highsierraguy

Locale: Northern California

What about the good ol' taught line hitch? It holds really well and is "0" extra weight….

Monte Masterson
    BPL Member

@septimius

Locale: Southern Indiana

Skurka uses a trucker's hitch with slippery knot. Says he hates linelocks because when wet turns to frozen you're SOL. The slippery knot also unties easy in the morning when your hands might be cold and numb.

Adam Kilpatrick
    BPL Member

@oysters

Locale: South Australia

Millions of ways to skin a cat. I can see people being very happy with something what Lawson has produced like this for UL set ups. Other knot based ways can include using prussiks (classic, french…) using a second piece of guy at either end. Blake's hitch or Rolling hitch. Just round turn two half hitches around your peg. Clove hitch around your peg. Using mini carabiners or hooks (eg dutch's various hooks) at either end. Fixed line with loop at end-move peg to adjust. Fixed line but with section of self tightening based on shock cord. All sorts of combinations of above. Picking all sorts of combinations of the above within the one shelter set up.

Matt Dirksen
    BPL Member

@namelessway

Locale: Mid Atlantic

"I didn't design these in a spread sheet or to be lighter than a clamcleat.. I designed them to work better, last longer, not be finicky, and not slip.." – or to end up floating in the Pacific Ocean with all the other plastics out there – :)

Cayenne Redmonk
    BPL Member

@redmonk

Locale: Greater California Ecosystem

Not everyone uses educated lines, presumably because of the time and money involved in raising intelligent fibers. This alone makes taught line very difficult to find at any price, greatly reducing or eliminating the taught line hitch for most campers. It's easier to learn some knots that can hold a line taut, or add a device like these to the kit..

Larry De La Briandais
    BPL Member

@hitech

Locale: SF Bay Area

A truckers hitch (what I use also, BTW) does weight something. You need extra line to make it work. It's not much, but you need extra line. And they are more finicky to use. Tying one with gloves or wet hands is a pain. I like these "new" line tensioners. Simple, nothing to break, well made and NOT made from plastic. Even frozen they seem like they would still release easily enough. But, I have no actual experience there so…

Lawson Kline
    BPL Member

@mountainfitter

Yes I agree. knots are free, weigh nothing, and work great. If you like using them then please save your money as I do not want these to end up in your closet, landfill or the bottom of the ocean. Afterall, your talking to a guy who owns over 20 braiding machines and makes rope and cordage for a living. So I am a knot guy… But on my tents and tarps I like using line tensioners. It allows me to setup my shelter in alot less time with less fuss. It's a personal preference. So please use what works best for you. No sales pitches here.

Pedestrian
    BPL Member

@pedestrian

"Not everyone uses educated lines, presumably because of the time and money involved in raising intelligent fibers." Hmmmm…..a serious misconception that needs to be called out: taught implies neither educated nor intelligent Or even that raising intelligent fibers, beings etc somehow costs money….. Discuss. ;)

Cayenne Redmonk
    BPL Member

@redmonk

Locale: Greater California Ecosystem

taught tôt/ past and past participle of teach. Certainly all taught lines are educated, but not all taught line studies hitching.

Jim Colten
    BPL Member

@jcolten

Locale: MN

I'm a knot guy who really appreciates being able to use a knot that fits the task at hand. That said, I can also appreciate the value of good tensioning devices, especially since my fumble fingers get more fumbler as conditions get more harsh:-) There is no one solution that is without a downside. Someone mentioned linelocks icing up … let me assure you, tying and untying knots in frozen line is no picnic. Regarding the taught(?, nope) taut line hitch … it is a simple knot but I have observed that there are two kinds of people in the world, knot people and those who are not;-) Trying to teach knots to the second group is far beyond my teaching abilities.

Barry P
    BPL Member

@barryp

Locale: Eastern Idaho (moved from Midwest)

“What about the good ol' taught line hitch?” A couple o reasons why not: 1. For me this wears down the line much faster. Various types of linelocs promote much longer line life. 2. A taught line hitch is a pain in the frozen rain or snow; especially small diameter rope. Linelocs are much easier. 3. Linelocs makes tent setup much easier/quicker. I do have problems with zpack linelocs as the rope keeps falling out of them. These Lawson Bar Tensioners look much better. So far my most favorite have been https://www.campmor.com/c/line-tighteners-15466 So am I to understand it costs $1 for 1 Lawson Bar Tensioner? Thanx, -Barry

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

"there are two kinds of people in the world, knot people and those who are not;-)" I'd be the second kind…. Will definitely pick some of these up. Besides, they're dual use, I think they'll look fantastic as a Christmas tree ornament!

Matt Dirksen
    BPL Member

@namelessway

Locale: Mid Atlantic

"3. Linelocs makes tent setup much easier/quicker" 4: most slip knots (in order to be tight enough to grip), pretty much require TWO HANDS to tighten or loosen. Most line lock devices are pretty much one handed. And there's not much one can do about trying to tighten/loosen a FROZEN taught line hitch with mitts on, in the dead of winter. But regardless of cool gadgetry, it's no substitute for not knowing one's basic knots…

Viewing 15 posts - 26 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools