Topic

Charlie’s solar-powered JMT b/w & magic light photo shoot, 2015

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Photo Gallery Charlie’s solar-powered JMT b/w & magic light photo shoot, 2015

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Charlie W
    Spectator

@charliew

OK, here's it is! I got a lot of help here getting my gear in order for the JMT. Since this is BPL, you will of course want to know that my total base weight was 17 lbs: 6 for photography and power; 11 for other. I'm proud of that, whatever you may think. My (theoretically) UL tripod weighed 2.7 times more than my shelter, although I could have multiused it as a tent pole (if both of my hiking poles had given out) or as a bear-bludgeoning device. I'll be filling in the JMT set over time here: http://www.charliewhitfield.photography. And no one likes my new Facebook page if you want to help with that (appreciate it!). Or look for me on 500px or 1x if you do that. I do a bit of processing, but not too much. Mostly I like to find interesting compositions and (sometimes) strong color from the ambient light of magic hour and blue hour (the trade secret here if you didn't know it is to not use auto white balance). I'm still new at this serious photography stuff. I'm trying to learn from other photographers that inspire me rather than what's popular on 500px right now. Here are some of my favorites so far… Day 1, on the way up to Cloud's Rest. How about an escalator right here? Everyone goes wide-angle here (for good reason) but here's a portrait: Not magic hour. Blue hour! 8 sec exposure about half-hour before sunrise: You know it's going to be hail when it looks like this in the Sierra. Was that ZPacks tarp a mistake? Banner with moon, morning after the storm: Gladys Lake at evening magic hour: And Gladys Lake again 39 minutes later: Beautiful Marie Lake. The sun is barely up and the lake is still in blue shadow: Two backpackers walking by Lake Marjorie: And two not yet on my website… I carried a 22.5 oz. f/1.4 lens with the specific intention to do astrophotography. I may have carried it the whole 220 miles for this one damn shot. Was it worth it? Bighorn Plateau was just astounding! Not nearly done with this area: Please let me know if you want to see more here. I'm probably only half way through the best of the set. Photography and power Sony a7r (16.4 oz.) Sony Sonnar T* FE 35mm f/2.8 ZA (4.2 oz.) Zeiss Batis 85mm f/1.8 (from lensrentals.com; 16.8 oz.) Rokinon 24mm f/1.4 (from lensrentals.com; 22.5 oz.) Sirui T-025X CFTripod (w/out center pole; 27.7 oz.) Suntactics sCharger-5 (8.6 oz.) 2 spare batteries (3.2 oz.) 1 USB cable + one backup (1.6 oz.)

Justin Miller
    BPL Member

@jrmoose

Locale: Midwest

Gorgeous! I love the blues in the Marie Lake shot along with the zig-zag composition across the center. Was that with the Rokinon 24mm?

Charlie W
    Spectator

@charliew

Thanks Justin! That's my favorite of this set too. No. All were 35mm except the Milky Way (needed the Rokinon f/1.4 for that) and the two mountain portrait/close-ups (85mm). I understand why folks like super-wide in the Sierra, but I'm sort of focusing on 35mm right now for my own creative reasons. (Also, the 35mm lens is 4 oz.)

Valerie E
    Spectator

@wildtowner

Locale: Grand Canyon State

Well, the JMT is SO stunning that it's hard to take bad photos… That said, though, yours are really, really gorgeous! I wish my JMT photos were half as nice (but my camera weight was relatively small, and my photography skills are also much, much smaller than yours!). Thanks for posting these. :^)

Charlie W
    Spectator

@charliew

Thanks Valerie! It's not about equipment. All but two of these could have been shot with a typical P&S (although the non-midday light shots do require a tripod). The first one could have been shot with an iPhone. I think instead of a gear list I should link inspirations: An old book I have on composition (easy to find videos on this). Videos on many individual photographers at Art of Photography, mostly not landscape photographers but in a way I think that's better. Ben Horne (no, not the Twin Peaks character). I don't want to carry his camera, but it's good to learn to slow down(!) from someone who takes maybe 20 photos in a week. Avoid videos on equipment like the plague. They only lead to depression and loss of interest in taking pictures (and increased interest in yelling at people in photography gear forums). It does take time and some focused attention though. You get out of it what you put into it.

Kenneth Keating
    Spectator

@kkkeating

Locale: Sacramento, Calif

Can't wait to see the ones you haven't yet posted to your website. Great job!

Richard May
    BPL Member

@richardm

Locale: Nature Deficit Disorder

Those are lovely photos! Keep shooting.

Joshua L
    Spectator

@augeleven

Locale: North Jersey

Hopefully pics like these will inspire my wife to come out with me on a JMT hike someday.

todd
    BPL Member

@funnymo

Locale: SE USA

"Was it worth it?" Ab-so-LUTELY! Well, easy for me to say since I didn't have to carry it :) Great photos. Thank you!

Charlie W
    Spectator

@charliew

Too garish? Anyone who's hiked from Lake Virginia to Silver Pass will remember the very, very white granite. That stuff just bounces back light from a pink sunset: Edit: After posting I'm not quite sure I'm done with this. It's a tough balance between true colors (which often look unreal and even more garish than above) and attempting to recreate perceived colors (tough to do and subjective). This is a case where auto white balance really goes way off and does neither. Edit2: Ah! That's better! Took a whole lot of desaturation to get this soft pink that I remember instead of violet vomit. (Although I suspect violet vomit would get me a higher ranking on 500px. Oh well…)

[ Drew ]
    BPL Member

@43ten

Locale: Central Valley CA

Gary, excellent photos. This makes me want to join the A7R/A7II/A7RII party. beautiful.

Charlie W
    Spectator

@charliew

Someone on another thread said 35mm is too narrow for landscape. Well, you can always do this. It's a 180 degree panorama stitched from six portrait-oriented photos.

Nick Truax
    BPL Member

@nicktruax

Locale: SW Montana

Great stuff, Charlie. I just bit the (golden) bullet that is the Sony A7 series and am stoked to see you bringing it into the bc. I'm coming from a NEX5/6 background fwiw. My plan is to bring it along for nearly everything bc except for running, which I've a rx100 for. Oh, and that astrophoto shot is sick btw. Keep up the good work and the inspiration!

Charlie W
    Spectator

@charliew

Thanks Nick! Here's a few more I've been working on… Lake Marjorie Abstract The Hermit, at the eastern end of Evolution Canyon The Painted Lady, across one of the Rae Lakes

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools