Topic

3/4 length winter baselayers

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) 3/4 length winter baselayers

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    spelt with a t
    BPL Member

@spelt

Locale: Rangeley, ME

Hey folks, Looking to lighten up my overlayered ankles and try out shorty long johns this year. I haven't found much but running tights, which all have pockets right where a hipbelt goes, or the Paty Cap 4 boot length. Do the Patys fit like tights, or looser (I'm looking for tight). Do they itch? I've worn UnderArmour ColdGear for years, but I've found that more than 12 hours continuous wear makes me itchy (I switch to merino "PJs" at camp). Are there other tights I should check out? Nike makes a 3/4 length training tight, but it doesn't look thick enough for winter use.

IVO K
    BPL Member

@joylesshusband

Locale: PA lately

You can look into bicycling non-padded tights & knickers. Lots of options.

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Locale: Queen City, MT

All you need is scissors and a lighter. Works great with ski boots.

Mercedes Clemens
    BPL Member

@motorlegs

Why not take a look at women's baselayers? Those will be shorter than the men's versions.

Kate Magill
    BPL Member

@lapedestrienne

Both ibex and icebreaker have men's cropped bottoms. I think minus33 might make a similar version as well. If you have a ski shop near you they'll probably have a decent selection.

chris smead
    BPL Member

@hamsterfish

Locale: San Jose, CA

There's also arcteryx phase SV boot cut. Cap4 feels a little warmer to me…but phase SV is still pretty awesome stuff.

Paul S.
    BPL Member

@pschontz

Locale: PNW
    Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

I cut a pair of Cap 4's to just below knee length; I also have a pair of MH Mighty Power 3/4 length tights-usually use those for running, but they would work as a base layer in cold conditions you don't mention pants, but OR makes a 3/4 Ferrosi pant with a Schoeller-like material that are very nice

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools