Topic

MYOG Tarp

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear MYOG Tarp

Viewing 5 posts - 26 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    Nick Smolinske
    BPL Member

@smo

Locale: Rogue Panda Designs

I actually find it easier to set up a shelter like this with poles inside. It takes just a bit of practice to know how far apart to stake it but once you master that you can put the stakes in first, then the poles, then adjust guy lines. Like pitching a mid.

jimmyjam
    BPL Member

@jimmyjam

Locale: Mid Atlantic

Just finished moding my MYOG inner to better fit my new tarp which I've named "The Stealth One". The materials for the net tent also came from RipStopByTheRoll. The floor is the 1.1 oz 2nd gen silpoly. The net tent weighs 13.1 ozs, making the whole shelter weigh in at 24 oz and NO CUBEN. I am very happy about that. The tarp has been set up in my backyard for over 24 hours in the rain and I am impressed. Literally no stretch.The Stealth One front with net innerNet Tent FrontNet tent rearNet Tent Pocket

jimmyjam
    BPL Member

@jimmyjam

Thought I'd report back about the tarp I made. I ended up doing a short hike to the Hightop Hut in the SNP. There were about a dozen boy scouts there with 4 adults. They were a good group I chatted around the fire with them for a while and had my dinner of mac-n-cheese with salmon. I polished it off with coffee & bourbon ( felt I needed to be discreet around the scouts) and an apple pie. The wind whistled thru the trees most of the night and it was a good clear cold night for seeing some stars. The new tarp performed flawlessly and even better was the fact that my re-made DIY pack carried very comfortably. My carried weight with 3 days of food and 2+ liters of water ( and a 1/2 pint of bourbon) came in at 22.8 lbs, I am very happy about that. It was great to get out and hear the leaves crunching under my feet and the hoot of a distance owl. I am ready for another LASH. Is this site slow to respond tonight or is it just my computer?? I'd post some pictures but it won't let me.

jimmyjam
    BPL Member

@jimmyjam

Here's the picture I couldn't post yesterday. Hightop Mountain Shenandoah National Park:View from HightopMYOG Tarp

jimmyjam
    BPL Member

@jimmyjam

Just finished another one of my “Stealth” Tarps. For this one I used the 1.1 silnylon from RBTR. The weight with all cordage, before seam sealing is 12.3 oz. I’m really liking the versatility of this tarp. I think I have a MYOG addiction.

Viewing 5 posts - 26 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools