Topic

Painful Cracking Heel Callus… remedies?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Painful Cracking Heel Callus… remedies?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Billy Ray
    Spectator

@rosyfinch

Locale: the mountains

Supposed to leave this morning for 3 weeks of hiking/backpacking. During the past week notice some pain in my heel. It got worse the past two days doing all the walking entailed in being on my feet all day and running around shopping and packing for the trip… but kinda put it out of my mind with so much to think about and plan. Looked at it last night and raw crack down to flesh… raw red looking; no blood. More painful to touch than to walk on… sharp pain. And now wondering if it's such a good idea to be going on the trip and hiking so much. Maybe I should let the heel heal? Question: Any quick remedies? And how long does it take to heal? thanks, Billy

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

Can't speak for the heels, but I have a lot of experience for cracked, bleeding callused hands. Thickened skin does not heal well. Callused hands and feet can be a good thing because they are tougher and won't blister , but if they crack or if they do blister it will be deeper and quite painful. After years of struggling with this I found that keeping skin moist and preventing thick calluses ( calli??) is best. I suggest you use a file to shave off some of the callus ( carefully!) and then treat is as a cut. Once healed don't let it get that thick again. Not sure on products, but others will chime in on that. Good luck and sorry this is ruining your trip. Edited for auto correct errors..

Jennifer Mitol
    Spectator

@jenmitol

Locale: In my dreams....

I am a HUGE fan of the hydrocolloid bandages made by Johnson & Johnson called Tough Pads. There are a lot of knockoffs, and I've tried many of them, but the fact is these guys are by far the best. It completely covers the crack/open skin and is waterproof and mostly bombproof. Keep it on as long as it will stay on (several days if you're lucky) and you should feel literally NO pain. Change it when you need to – buy a few packages of them – and keep them on until the raw skin under the crack is all nice and healed. You'll never carry anything else on your trips!

Billy Ray
    Spectator

@rosyfinch

Thanks Jen… where do you get these pads? Hard to find? billy

Billy Ray
    Spectator

@rosyfinch

I was also wondering about using Super Glue to close the crack. I have head of people doing this with painful cracks on their hands. But I wonder if the moisture that a foot generates would make it hard for the Super Glue to stick? billy

Billy Ray
    Spectator

@rosyfinch

And Jen… with these Tough Pads, can I put the foot in a boot and backpack? Or best to let it heal a few days? A week? More? thanks, billy

Jennifer Mitol
    Spectator

@jenmitol

Oh yeah – stick it on, and as soon as it's nice and adhered (maybe 5 mins?) then put your foot in your sock, in your boot…and off you go! I've had NASTY blisters, cracks, etc and they hold up really nicely. I used to be able to get them at CVS, but then they started carrying their own CVS version and those are terrible. I googled them and per their websites, CVS and Walgreens do carry them (but i can't find them in my stores). Walmart, Target, etc should have them… Here is the amazon link for a huge packet of them http://www.amazon.com/Johnson-Tough-Pads-4-Count-Pack/dp/B001E96M26

Valerie E
    Spectator

@wildtowner

Locale: Grand Canyon State

Any of those hydrocolloid-type bandages should work perfectly (I've used both brand-name and generic). I cover them with a good piece of duct tape, though, which allows the bandage to stay on longer. Totally agree with Jen that they are "stick and go". No matter how bad the crack, once you stick the bandage on, you can start hiking immediately with zero pain. Wonderful invention!

spelt with a t
    BPL Member

@spelt

Locale: Rangeley, ME

Jen, can they be trimmed to size, or is the adhesive only around the border?

Kenneth Keating
    Spectator

@kkkeating

Locale: Sacramento, Calif

The best thing I’ve found to prevent cracking is to not allow the thick calloused skin to form. Remove the dead skin with a Ped Egg Pedicure file and then smooth out with 80 grit drywall sandpaper on a hand sander. If you keep the dead skin remove, there’s not even a need to use lotion. Before I starting doing this I’d get horrible cracking, and not matter much lotion I’d the cracking would still occur and be painful. But you have to work on your feet every couple of weeks to keep them in shape, it’s not a last minute fix all. But that doesn’t help now, as you’re already past that point and have cracking. Jen’s method sounds good, I’d give that a try. As a backup I’d bring zinc oxide with Leukotape. Put the zinc oxide over the cracked area, and then cover with the tape. It’ll have a lower profile than the pads and may be a little more robust.

Cameron N.
    BPL Member

@korpen

For daily foot care at home, to prevent this kind of stuff from happening, I highly recommend O'Keeffe's Working Feet. I use it every night when I'm working and it's awesome stuff. Works well for lizard skin that cracks.

John Martin
    BPL Member

@snapyjohn

Locale: Pacific NW

I have found super glue helps. Daily care helps and I use a product called healtastic found and bed bath and beyond. I found the reason for the cracking was swelling.I have been Gluten free for two years and the only time I experience cracks now is if I have gluten exposure.

Jennifer Mitol
    Spectator

@jenmitol

"Jen, can they be trimmed to size, or is the adhesive only around the border?" Oh, they can be trimmed to whatever you want… The whole bandage is adhesive, so trim away!

Michael Schwartz
    BPL Member

@greenwalk

Locale: PA & Ireland

This may help you in the long term: I use a pumice stone on my heel, sole and toes nearly every day in the shower. Sometimes, when I remember or when needed, I apply a balm, like Burt's Bees hand salve or comfrey ointment or Badger balm, to my feet before I sleep. Sometimes I put on thin cotton socks after the balm to keep the balm off the sheets and to allow the balm to soak in. I am not so prone to blisters anyway, but this method helps. The idea is making the skin on the feet soft and supple yet tough–like leather.

D M
    BPL Member

@farwalker

Locale: What, ME worry?

Zim's is awesome, heals overnight. Amazon carries it.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools