Topic

Beijing, China – Hiking Trails?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning Beijing, China – Hiking Trails?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Steven Evans
    BPL Member

@steve_evans

Locale: Canada

I am going to be in Beijing in a few weeks and have a full week to myself from Nov 8th to Nov 14th. Anyone have a great 2 or 3 day hike that I can squeeze in? I am open to traveling quite a ways (maybe 12 hours) away from Beijing to get to the trail – but want it to be epic. So far my searches have lead me to Mount Huashan which would be a thrilling day trip and a bunch of Great Wall hikes that look fun but not really my thing. There has to be something around there? The place is huge! Help me out if you can. Steve

Rick M
    BPL Member

@yamaguy

Well if you want something aerobic then I highly recommend the a day trip to the Great Wall. Surprising good workout. And the city itself is highly conducive to full day urban walking tours with good public transport and cheap taxis. There will be plenty to see and do. It is the capital of a 4,000yr old civilization afterall. THE BIG UNKOWN is will the smog and pollution keep you inside. Fall and Winter are typically the worst months since they burn much more coal for heating.

Steven Evans
    BPL Member

@steve_evans

Thanks Rick, I plan on touring the city and seeing the attractions. Being such a massive place, I was hoping to get into the backcountry for a few days. I found a few great hikes but they are nowhere near Beijing so I am going to look into flying to HK and going from there…thanks for the tips!

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

My thought was the Great Wall as well. The access is really easy from Beijing on rail or bus to several well-restored sections where most of the tourists go. I don't know how well maintained it is if you choose to go for out 2-3 days, but in the section I hiked, it seem easy enough to stealth camp in the forest on either side (it's built on ridges, so is mostly up above the farms and settlements). Going UL, you could look like you have just have a largish day pack with you. The occasional tea houses and vendors from which to buy a cold beer are a plus. Perhaps there is a passable section between two different tourist access points where you could catch a bus to one and a different bus from another.

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

Steven Evans
    BPL Member

@steve_evans

Thanks David. Im still seeing how easy it is to get around to some of the spots that are further away. I feel like there has to be something closer, but my faith is dwindling..

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools